Roon and Ryzen - high CPU usage?

I’m running Roon server on my Linux desktop and seeing very high CPU utilisation with Roon idling.
Theere’s no audio analysis or anything of the sort going on:

Agree that seems abnormal. Is it spewing anything to its logs that might suggest what the problem is? (E.g., /var/roon/RoonServer/Logs/RoonServer_log.txt if using the default database location.)

Couldn’t see anything telling in logs.

Hello @evand,

Thanks for contacting support regarding this issue, I’d be happy to take a look. Starting off, can you please provide more information regarding your setup using this thread as a guide?

Please be sure to let us know what version of Roon you’re on, the specs on the Linux desktop (including the computer name) and what your Roon Remotes are. Is Background Audio Analysis turned on?

I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode on your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, it will automatically generate and upload a diagnostic report directly to our servers. Please let me know which machine is affected by this issue so that I can submit the proper diagnostics for QA to take a look at what could be causing this behavior.

Thanks,
Noris

• what version of Roon you are running: 1.5b352 alpha 64 bit
  • What operating system you are running: Linux 4.18.9-arch1-1-ARCH
  • Basic information about the device you’re using: Asrock w/ AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor, 32GB RAM
  • Describe where your music is stored: local SATA drives
  • Let us know your collection size: 2728 tracks on testbed

machinename=ryzen

Hello @evand,

Thank you for providing that information for me. I can confirm that our servers have successfully received the diagnostics report from your machine and I have submitted a case for you with our QA team.

While this case reaches their queue, can you please confirm – Are you using any specific Roon Remotes when you notice this behavior? Is there anything currently being processes with the “Activity Spinner” when this issue occurs? The activity spinner looks like this:

And if you click on it, it should reveal a page similar to this one:

Please let me know if you see the activity spinner and the above information when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @evand,

Appreciate your patience while QA has had a chance to review the diagnostics from your machine.

They have indicated that the high CPU usage was due to analysis happening on all 16 Cores of your machine. You can change this Analysis feature in Roon Settings -> Library and QA has suggested that you should disable this feature completely and then see if you experience the same high CPU usage afterwards.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris, thanks for the feedback, albeit it doesn’t make any sense given the library had already been ingested and analysed - the PC was left to run overnight and when I returned to it the CPU load was as shown. No way a Ryzen 7 set to do analysis at full tilt could take that long to analyse 2700 local tracks, even starting from scratch. I had been using the alpha Android client on a Google Pixel 2 as remote.

Basing on your logs there was an import and roon was analyzing files from those albums :

• Marie Andrews - May Your Kindness Remain [2496.0 kHz]
  • Courtney Marie Andrews - No One’s Slate Is Clean
  • Macy Gray - Ruby
  • Fatherson - Sum of All Your Parts
    etc.

If you notice this once more, ping us and we’ll check new logs.

Will do, thx. My gut us that something triggered a race condition.