Roon and Sonos Problems

Really liked Roon’s features and wanted to switch to it from Plex, but kept having issues with Sonos, with constant connectivity drops. Any chance this will be fixed so I can subscribe again?

Hi @Anish_Trivedi ,

Typically connectivity drops are due to a networking issue somewhere along the line. Can you please fill out the below template so that we can understand your setup better?

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

Hey @Anish_Trivedi,

We couldn’t help but notice that your free trial expired while we had a chance to reply — apologies for the delay!

In the hopes that you’d like to continue troubleshooting with @noris’s help, we’ve added a 30 day free trial on your account.

2 Likes

Hi @noris

This is what I could extract -

Server:

Device name Music-Server
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.70 GB usable)
Product ID 00331-20300-00000-AA908
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎24-‎04-‎2021
OS build 19044.2728
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 1000/1000 (Mbps)
Link-local IPv6 address: xxx
IPv4 address: xxx
IPv4 DNS servers: xxx
Manufacturer: Realtek
Description: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Driver version: 9.1.410.2015
Physical address (MAC): xxx

Local Disk (C:) 1.81 TB (469 Gb used)
6TB (D:) 5.45 TB (3.86 TB used)

Network:

Cisco RV340 Router
HP 1410-24G Switch
TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch

Music-Server and Sonos Amp are on the TP-Link switch, connected through Cat 6 ethernet.

Roon:

Roon version 2.0 (Build 1234)
Roon library: 228,469 tracks
Sonos connectivity via Sonos streaming

Hope this gives you what you need.

Hello @Anish_Trivedi ,

I wanted to check in with you here, have you had any luck getting your Sonos up-and-running? I’ve noticed that you have been using your System Output zone, are you using this as an in-between to play to the Sonos zone and it is working as expected?

There were a few issues with the previous Sonos firmware, I cannot say for sure if it will help with your specific Sonos issue, but it is worth updating to Sonos 15.3 (or later) and checking to see if there is an improvement with Roon.

Also, I am not sure if your TP-Link switch is a managed switch, but sometimes this ahs caused issues in the past. If you are using a managed switch, you can try to connect the Sonos + server to an unmanaged switch and check for improvement. Hope this helps!

Hi Noris

I’m not sure what it was that did it, but between a Roon and Sonos update I’m no longer experiencing any trouble. There are times when Roon says it can’t find tracks in a playlist, but that hasn’t caused any playout problems.

The System Output zone you see is currently direct from Roon to the amplifier. Another zone is routed through Sonos, and I’ll be adding another Sonos amp and port in the next few days to expand reach. That’ll make most of my music listening routed through Roon.

Now that the problems appear to have been fixed. it’s a great product.

1 Like

Hi @Anish_Trivedi ,

Glad to hear that the issues are resolved!

If these are tracks from TIDAL/Qobuz, they may be unavailable because of a change in copyright availability from the streaming provider.

Hope you enjoy the new zones, and if you have any other issues with Roon, just let us know. Happy listening! :headphones:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.