Roon and Tidal Not Playing Well Together

@support
I have a newly refurbished Mac-mini (Mojave 10.14.3) running the latest version of Roon that I just installed. The Mac is on a wireless connection. The internal Sharing is set to share the wireless network with the Ethernet connection. I am streaming to an SOtM streamer via ethernet. This all works fine as it did on my previous, but much older Mac-mini. I upgraded the Mac because my older one no longer supported Roon, or would run Tidal.

I activated Tidal through Roon and signed up. Tidal came up and seemed to be working just fine. Then, later on any song I picked would not load in properly giving me a warning that it is taking too long to load and that I may have a network problem. Tidal works fine on that same computer and on a PC laptop when running off their browsers, also through the same wireless connection. What gives? Does Tidal running through Roon require more bandwidth? What are your suggestions and what should I try next? Thank you.

Hi @Dave_Housteau,

So we can better assist you, please describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

If you play to the system output of one of your remotes does the same behavior occur?

@support
My network is very simple. I am wireless to the Mac-mini. The Mac is sharing the wireless to ethernet internally. My SOtM SMS-200 streamer is directly connected to the Mac by ethernet. That is my entire network. If I try just using the Mac for internal playback I get the same result. The warning is that the media is loading too slowly and I may have a network problem. Yet Tidal works just fine when played from the Safari browser.

It sounds like between your incoming internet and the mac-mini you are using Wifi. If so, try connecting the mac-mini to the internet (router?) via ethernet and not Wifi.

Yes. That will be my next test. The weather is bad right now. My listening room is separate from my house and so maybe tomorrow will be better to move the computer for a test. I just don’t understand why playing through the browser is fine and a non event through Roon. Also, when it first got set up Tidal through Roon worked just fine.

Apparently my wireless has a weaker signal in my listening room now than it did when I had Tidal up and running through Roon yesterday. However, for whatever reason it is still strong enough for Tidal to play through Safari.

The quick fix was to set up WiFi extender in my room which strengthened the signal. Tidal is now working through Roon just fine. I like a success story, especially if it is mine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to hear you got it going. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.