Roon and volume control

Hi,

I’ve only recently got into Roon and I’m really enjoying the software (and I’ve just taken delivery of a Nucleus as well).

I do though have a question about volume control on my audio devices in different zones - I’m using a Primare PRE35 Prisma (via chromecast, soon to be roon ready), a Pioneer NC-50DAB (chromecast) and a Yamaha WXA-50 (airplay).

The general advice seems to be to use the volume control on the devices rather than through roon, so set roon to output fixed volume. But obviously it’s easier to be able to control volume via roon. When I set volume to Device Volume for the Primare and Pioneer I still get the purple bit perfect symbol. So am I right in assuming that there’s no difference in the quality of the audio signal regardless of which volume setting I choose? If that’s the case, then I may as well control the volume via Roon.

The Yamaha is a slightly different story because it only ever shows ‘high quality’ audio regardless of setting, which I gather is because of the limitations of airplay.

Any advice would be welcome!

Yes. If you choose Device there is no digital manipulation in Roon for volume control. As you are using Fixed now, that is also the case. If you set Fixed to something less than 100% out (e.g. volume leveling) you’ll get the blue ‘enhanced’ signal path light. You would also see enhanced using digital signal processing volume control.

Great. Thanks for the reply. That’s what I was hoping to hear!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.