Roon App Crashes on iPhone X due to specific Bookmarks [Ticket In]

Whenever I click on one of my bookmarks the app crashes. I have reinstalled the app several times. I have run it under the last several iOS versions. Nothing works.

I can use the other functionality and browse for music but the second I hit a bookmark it crashes.

Anyone else have this issue?

It’s working fine on my iPhone 6s and iPad mini 2. Hopefully, someone with an iPhone X will chime in.

Hi have your tried rebooting the Roon Core? It’s worth a shot …

It works fine on my iPad. Just the iPhone has issues.

I have. It is odd since it works fine on my ipad.

That does suggest there’s an issue with Roon on the iPhone X … let’s tag @support.

I have used it extensively with my iPhone X last year and XS Max this year and I am pretty certain it has never crashed. What bookmarks are you using?

They are bookmarks which define subsets of my music library by various attributes, mostly the storage location. One defines the subset based on the genre. They aren’t overly complicated.

Hi David,

Have you tried closing all apps and doing a hard reset on your iPhone? I have occasionally had weird issues and this has helped.

I see the confusion, Roon sometimes calls them tags and sometimes bookmarks, as far as I can tell. I set up three bookmarks and then tried to select them in tags. It brought up the correct selection every time. No crashes.

I am not sure what you mean by “confusion?” I am merely selecting the bookmark in the app. Once I do, it crashes.

In the roon program on my Mac it calls them tags, on the iPhone it refers to them as both bookmarks as well as tags.The confusion was mine as I could not find bookmarks on the desktop app.

I don’t use bookmarks but I have to constantly quit the roon app on my X as it just locks up…

Hi @David_Minches,

Does this occur with all bookmarks? If you were to create a brand new bookmark and select it do you experience this crash?

Moving forward I was hoping you could reproduce this issue once more and make a note of the time the crash occurs. Respond here with that time and I’ll enable diagnostics on your account so the team can take a look.

I just tried a few bookmarks on my X and it works fine. Also, Tags do just fine.
I’d suggest either the mentioned hard reset or simply reinstall the Roon App.
Keeping fingers x-ed!

I created new bookmark (performer = Coltrane; Label = prestige) and that worked fine on the iPhone. So, I deleted one of my old bookmarks and recreated it thinking that was the issue but that crashed.

I think the issue is when the bookmark refers to a specific storage location the iPhone app doesn’t like it (the iPad app is fine).

All my Grateful Dead music is in one folder. When I set up a bookmark to just refer to that location it crashes. However, if I just select “Grateful Dead” as the performer and don’t specify the location it works fine.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the info here, @David_Minches!

Can you share a screenshot of a Focus that does cause the crash?

The only thing set in the bookmark is the storage location.

Thanks, @David_Minches!

I’ve passed this along to the team for investigation.

Hi @David_Minches.

I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report!