Roon app ios: "Connection failed"

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Win 10 Pro/i7-8700K@3.7GHz/1.7 (build 505)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Roon server on desktop to ethernet > MOTOROLA MG7540 16x4 Cable Modem Plus AC1600 > WiFi > iPhone SE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

iPhone SE > WiFi

Description Of Issue

It found the Roon Core and says “Connecting…” but every 7-9 seconds it says “Connection Failed” and goes back to “Connecting…”

Just installed app, tried rebooting phone. Roon server is working fine, playing music on both desktop (to iFi stack) and Sonos Connect. It was still indexing collection, but just finished, at 20,335 albums. Did not make a difference, still failing to connect.

I installed it onto my Kindle Fire just now and it worked instantly.

Try deinstalling and reinstalling the phone app.

Hi @Fastnbulbous,

Any change if you reboot the iPhone, Core machine, and router?

Did that last night, no change. Also did all the things at once this morning – delete app, reboot phone, computer, modem, reinstall app. Still same. WiFi works fine on everything else on phone and other devices in house, including Roon > Sonos Connect.

Hi @Fastnbulbous,

Do you have any VPNs active on your iPhone? Is the iPhone on the same subnet range as the Core (as in the IP address match except for the last 3 digits)?

No VPNs. Will have to check subnet when I return from work. What’s the solution if it doesn’t?

Hi @Fastnbulbous,

I would make sure that the IP address subnet matches as the first step. If it does and you still have issues, you can try reinstalling Roon to see if it’ll help:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the same issue occurs
  • Is issue does not occur, restore from backup you made

If this still does not provide the solution, I would check firewall:

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path. I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.