Roon app on Core closes multiple times per day while playing via remote

Roon Core Machine

NUC i3 w/ 32GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Core is ethernet connected to router and NAS. Gigabit wireless where applicable.

Connected Audio Devices

Denon X3700H via HDMI. Various remotes.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Playing Roon via Windows-based remote, I will seemingly, randomly receive “Uh oh, can’t connect to Roon Core.”

Checking Roon Coore machine, I will always find the Roon app has closed. Everything else about the computer environment seems fine. I relaunch Roon on the Core and everything works fine for a while until it happens again. This is always while playing audio. This happens multiple times per day.

Is everything installed correctly including the codecs on the NUC? The NUC SHOULD BE SWITCHED ON 24-7.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Which codecs would we be talking about? It works fine, other than when it closes. :slight_smile:

The NUC is a dedicated Roon machine and is never ever shut down. It will just stop in the middle of a song, and I go to look at it and the app is closed. I open it again and Roon works fine again for some period, and then it happens again. No errors on the machine and no signs of a crash. It just closes.

Roon on my Core quit four or five times today. I have no idea what to do to fix it or even what to investigate. I’m happy to troubleshoot, but I don’t even have a direction to go in. Why would an app just close on its own? Why would Roon just quit in the middle of playing a song? Really would appreciate a response from Roon support.

And to make matters worse. Roon has a problem where every time it closes on the Core, the remote shows doubles of all the focus criteria. Roon support told me this was a known problem many months ago. I’m rather surprised this still hasn’t been addressed.

So not only do I have to re-launch Roon multiple times per day, but to add insult to injury, I have doubles of all my focus criteria every single time this happens. So now I’ve got bugs/problems overlapping with other bugs/problems. Uhg.

My use for Roon is quite basic (i.e. shuffle my local/streaming library, using focus criteria, from a remote). I use a dedicated NUC with 32gb of RAM. I’m connected via ethernet. I have gigabit, low latency internet. And yet things have been broken for me far too often over the years. My family just can’t understand why I put up with it (“Roon causing trouble again???”), but I’m fully aware that there’s nothing else really like it and that I have no alternative. I’ve said it a thousand times. I love Roon. I truly do. But I’m also growing to hate it. The always-something-new bugs and the almost total lack of support (weeks, if ever, without any response whatsoever) has put me in a serious love/hate relationship at this point - which is really quite sad.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.