Roon ARC and DHCP

Roon Core Machine

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, Macmini8,1, 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 64 GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Comcast (Technicolor) CGA4131COM cable modem/wireless router, ASUS ZenWiFi Pro ET12 wireless mesh router, hardware running Roon core and clients is on the ASUS Wifi network.

Connected Audio Devices

Devialet Phantom Gold (2 units) on ASUS Wifi, KEF LSX on ASUS Wifi, Schiit Jotunheim via USB, Apple TV A1842 running tvOS 16.1 connected to ASUS Wifi, AirPort Express 2nd generation via Ethernet, Apple MacBook Pro 13 inch M1 running Ventura 13.1 connected to ASUS Wifi, Apple iPhone 13 mini running iOS 16.1.2 connected to ASUS Wifi, Apple Mac Pro 2019 running Ventura 13.1 connected to ASUS Wifi

Number of Tracks in Library

6265 tracks

Description of Issue

My Roon Core runs on a Mac Mini with a static IP and my Comcast router is configured to port forward the ARC listen port to the Mac Mini and has UPnP enabled. Unfortunately, the Comcast router apparently has a bug that forces you to include the static IP address of the Roon Core server in the DHCP range when creating the port forward rule. At this point, I was able to successfully configure and test Roon ARC. I then reconfigured the Comcast router DHCP to exclude the static address of the Roon Core server. After I did this, Roon ARC stopped working on all my devices. Reverting the Comcast router DHCP settings fixes the problem. Why is this? Why would the DHCP configuration influence Roon ARC?

Where did you declare the fixed IP address for your Roon Core (Mac Mini)? In the MAC mini or in the Comcast router? If you declared the fixed IP address in the Mac Mini try declaring it in the Comcast router and configure the Mac Mini as DHCP client

Hi Alfred,

Awesome! Declaring the fixed IP of the Roon Core in the Comcast router did the trick. Thanks for your help!

Jason

:+1: Remember, always set fixed IP addreses in the router (DHCP server) and never in network clients. This prevents network errors such as IP address conflicts.

Further explanation: the DHCP server in your router has no knowledge of fixed IP addresses that may have been defined in network clients. It is therefore a possibility that your router’s DHCP server automatically assigns an IP address to a network client that has already been defined as a fixed IP address in one of the network clients. In that case there are two clients in your network with the same IP address.

Sage advice. I learned something today!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.