### Networking Gear & Setup Details

• Control of playback from iPhone 12Pro w/512GB and iPads
  • Netgear Nighthawk R9000 Router (X10)
  • Current SW/FW on all systems
  • Internet: AT&T Gigabit Fiber, 1Gb Service

### Connected Audio Devices

• Wired iFi Zen Streamer connected to DAC via Digital Coax out
  • Wired Aurlic Aries Mini connected to headphone amp via RCA analog out
  • Wired Bluesound Powernode connected to speakers via speaker out.
  • Wireless Bluesound Powernode connected to speakers via speaker out.
  • Wired Windows Desktop with sound card and speakers

### Number of Tracks in Library

• Music Library = ~13822 Albums and 205K Tracks in Total
  • ~5500 of the total albums are Tidal
  • ~8300 of the total albums are local files consisting of Redbook FLAC, HiRez FLAC, DxD and DSD – all stored on the NAS.
  • Active Tidal subscription with some Tidal albums added to library (~5488 Tidal Albums in library)

### Description of Issue

Roon ARC is too buggy to be used, I’m using another remote audio solution for now. The problems are as follows:

1. Roon ARC will play music for a brief period and then the iPhone app will crash.
  2. When in use, Roon ARC causes the phone to become extremely hot and battery life using Roon ARC is essentially non-existent.
  3. The above two issues take place both when streaming and when playing music which had been previously downloaded to the Roon ARC app.

I can confirm that these issues take place regardless of if my iPhone is on cellular or another high-speed WiFi connection. I can also confirm that I used an app to test the connection back to my NAS, and in all test cases the ping and throughput of the connection back to the NAS in my home is exceptional.

Hey @c2c2c2,

It’s great to see you on the Roon Community! You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

We’re currently investigating this issue as it seems to happen across a handful of other iOS users. When it was happening prior, do you happen to know what resolution you were streaming?

If possible, can you please test playing audio at different resolutions to see if your issue persists?

What other apps do you have open (if any), or if you’re playing to an endpoint other than the system output on the iPhone?

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

I can confirm this happens independent of the music file resolution. It also happens if I’m streaming or if I’m playing a file I have downloaded to ARC.

Also, when I do this testing, I close all other apps on the phone so ARC is the only app running.

Finally, this problem holds true for the following endpoints:

1. The iPhone’s Speaker
  2. Apple Airpods Pro
  3. Several different bluetooth speakers.

Thanks,
John

Thanks for the follow-up @c2c2c2! How many tracks have you downloaded to arc so far?

Outside of completely removing and uninstalling Arc along with any associated files, and starting fresh, I don’t have any immediate next steps for you. We’re still very much in the investigation phase of getting to the root cause of this issue, so I appreciate your patience while we work on it.

I have just completely deleted Roon ARC and all its data from my phone and reinstalled. The issues as described remain unchanged.

I would suggest looking at one symptom at a time as a way to narrow in on the underlying cause or causes. For example, the download speed to the phone of an album.

When I’m at home and trying to download a file to Roon ARC from my local NAS which hosts Roon Core, it can take a VERY VERY LONG time to move the file to the phone. In some cases, hours - if ever. However, I have a VERY fast local WiFi and I can download/upload other very large files to my NAS over the same connection in a matter of seconds or fractions of a minute. There is something about getting a file to download from Roon on my NAS to Roon ARC which is not related to the speed of my WiFi/Network or the speed of the NAS (mostly idle). Why should this simple process take so long? Furthermore, the action also demonstrates the heating up of the phone and the rapid exhaustion of battery life. Perhaps start with that.

As one additional point, in some cases (not all) it will start with a little more speed, but after downloading a few (~5-10) tracks it slows to a virtual stop.

Download speed by ARC is generally very slow, this is currently “normal” even for people who have no other issue:
https://community.roonlabs.com/search?q=arc%20download%20speed

With the amount of heat that I’m seeing my guess is the secured connection is encrypting and decrypting the content back onto the device. The CPU usage for decryption must be what is making the heat on the phones. It might be set too aggressive of a secured channel to the local core, maybe less aggressive algorithm would be better. Also arc should even avoid encryption and decryption the stream when local LAN because it really only needed WAN for my use case.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.