Roon ARC can’t access Roon Core outside home

Roon Core Machine

Roon Nucleus with latest OS version. All music library is saved in a separate Synology NAS which Roon Nucleus can usually access within home wifi

Networking Gear & Setup Details

1. Who is your internet service provider?
    Chunhwa Telecom in Taiwan

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?
    Asustek Router

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
    No other router or switches

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?
    No other VPN

Connected Audio Devices

iPhone

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

Roon ARC on my iPhone can access Roon Core when I am on the same home wifi but doesn’t work when I am outside. Have logged in Asustek router setting to turn on the port forwarding with profile matching the Roon Core IP/Port shown on Roon setting tab but it still doesn’t work. Now on Roon ARC tab of Roon setting it shows the error code below:

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:502,“error”:“error: Error: connect ECONNREFUSED 220.aaa.ddd.eee:55000, response code: undefined, body: undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“220.aaa.ddd.eee”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.50.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“><s:Body><s:Fault>s:ClientUPnPError<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">718ConflictInMappingEntry</s:Fault></s:Body></s:Envelope>”}
}

The port forwarding diagnostics you’ve provided suggest that UPnP/NATPMP is partially enabled but is not properly configured on your router.

Please first try the following steps:

• Ensure that UPnP/NATPMP options are fully enabled in the web administration interface for the router
  • Try to manually open the port in your router’s port forwarding configuration
  • Make sure the IP/Port matches the Port listed in Roon → Settings → ARC
  • Check for any VPNs or Firewalls that might be interfering
  • Check if your modem is in Bridge mode

If you continue to experience difficulties, please tag the support team and include the following information:

1. What is the make and model of your modem and router?
  2. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
  3. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region?
  4. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem or do you have the ports forwarded on both?

Thanks!

@Martin_Webster thanks for the quick feedback. However I am still facing difficulty using ARC. I am using Asustek router RT-AC86U and my ISP is Chunghwa Telecom in Taiwan. I am pasting my router setting screenshots below for your reference. Anything I should change?

Please describe all networking equipment, e.g., modem, ISP supplier router etc. Thanks.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

<!‐-Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet, are you using VPN-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>

@Martin_Webster
Chunghwa Telecom (ISP in Taiwan) →
GPON HGW Alcatel-Lucent 1-040GW →
EPON Sumitono Electric FTE-6086-CAN 1000BASE-PX10E-U →
Asustek Router RT AC86-U

I see you have UPnP enabled but also a port forwarding rule for the same port. That could be the cause of the conflict in mapping. Try to delete the rule and restart the router and then your core and see if that helps.

Thanks @Joost_Hoogland @Martin_Webster

Have deleted port forwarding profile and now the error code shows below:

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:502,“error”:“error: Error: connect ECONNREFUSED 220.aaa.bbb.ccc:55000, response code: undefined, body: undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“220.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“router_external_ip”:“192.168.1.101”},
“status”: “status”: MultipleNatFound
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.50.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

@Jenkins_Shiau, it appears you have two home networks running, one using IP addresses 192.168.1.xxx and one using 192.168.50.1 (assume this is your ASUS router).

Can you please provide any additional information on what equipment Chunghwa Telecom has placed in your home? Is this a cable connection, fiber, or DSL?

1 Like

@Robert_F 192.168.1.101 seems to be my WAN IP as shown in my Asustek router webpage setting.

Please see the full device list below, thanks.

Chunghwa Telecom (ISP in Taiwan) →
GPON HGW Alcatel-Lucent 1-040GW →
EPON Sumitono Electric FTE-6086-CAN 1000BASE-PX10E-U →
Asustek Router RT AC86-U

@Robert_F @Martin_Webster please see my error code and network equipment route (Chunghwa Telecom provides fiber internet connection) and see if anything else I can try? Thanks.

@Jenkins_Shiau, I am tagging @support for you as I am not confident I understand your ISP and home network well enough to provide guidance.

2 Likes

Hi @Jenkins_Shiau,

Thank you for posting publicly on the forums and for your patience as the team worked through the queue to reach your inquiry. The most recent diagnostics suggest there’s a redundant layer of NAT, either in your local network or upstream at the carrier level with Chunghwa Telecom.

The unit I’ve pasted above appears to be a modem. Do you know if it also has a router (like a gateway or modem/router comb), and if this router is enabled? If so, disable the router (and NAT) functions here by placing it in Bridge mode, Passthrough mode, or equivalent.

Alternatively, you can disable UPnP on your main router and set the same manual port forwarding rule in both your Alcatel-Lucent modem/router and your Asustek RT AC86-U.

If neither of these steps resolves the port forwarding issue, then I’d suggest contacting your ISP directly to ask if they’ve implemented IPv6 with carrier-grade NAT for your account and whether options exist to request a routable IPv4 WAN address.

We’ll keep an eye out for your response.

1 Like

@connor thanks for the feedback! Just switched my Lucent Alcatel to bridge mode and made my Asustek WAN to PPPoE and Roon ARC works now. Really appreciated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.