Roon ARC + Carplay: Share your thoughts and road listening adventures here!

Arc badly needs a search function here. Scrolling and scrolling gets incredibly annoying. It also doesn’t help that Apple doesn’t allow typing in music apps. But they allow it for map functionality. Really don’t get it.

Siri integration would be a waste of time, since it barely works with Apple Music.

interesting seeing all these requests for search, which ARC has, but y’all must be talking about the direct “big” ARC app on Carplay.

It’s funny, i don’t really use the carplay interface much. Maybe I will eventually, but I prefer to use the phone itself. (Try not to do much while driving, obviously. I still use the “mini” carplay interface if I’m listening to roon radio (or radio paradise or whatever), if i want to skip songs, etc…, but if I want to select an album, I’ll use the phone. )

I guess I’m so used to using ARC on the phone while on walks, etc… that I forget the “big” Carplay interface is even there.

Great article. So in short it looks that wireless CarPlay uses AAC, but at a higher bitrate than Bluetooth.

Thanks,
Rob.

Yeah, to be honest, with the noise of the car engine and road noise I can’t discern any difference between bitrate formats whilst driving (unless it’s really low quality mp3).
My Pioneer is Hi-Res capable, so I’ve tried Hi-Res from a portable SSD and also tried ARC with a wired connection to my iPhone in original format.

Now I just connect to the Pioneer wirelessly on short journeys and let ARC pick “best quality”.

It could be the cable. I’ve experienced cables that charge great but won’t do audio transfers.

Very happy to have Roon Arc in carplay. It would be nice if there was an easy way to shuffle albums as well as shuffle tracks while on the go. Planning playlists before I get in the car seems inconvenient at best.

Keep up the great work.

1 Like

Wireless CarPlay should be lossless if not hires? I have a aftermarket headunit so I’m not sure.

Yeah or some sort of search (which is a limitation of Apple).

Apple Car Play will play CD quality (16bit/48hz max) over wireless and usb connection, but it won’t play hi-res music

FLAC audio files on a usb sound much better than ARC on car play in my BMW.

ARC on CarPlay started off well for me, and was perfectly useable, if a little buggy. Fast forward a week and it’s now completely unusable…how does that happen without there having been an update?

I now have no album art appearing frequently, using the back function crashes the app, now playing still not working, ‘loading’ doesn’t disappear now most of the time.

Hi,

Roon ARC is installed en works in my car, but it’s really slow. Even my downloaded albums (on my phone) don’t load fast in the car. Qobuz app works normal so I don’t think it’s because of the internet connection.

Greets!

Great for you then, no such luck here!

1 Like

The ability to like a song from the now playing screen is the most important feature for me. When playing a playlist or radio station (as I normally do with Spotify while driving) it’s the only way to save a track for revisiting later when you’re not driving. This seems to be missing on Arc as it is on many other services. Spotify has a very simple liked songs playlist. That’s all you need.

1 Like

Roon Arc + CarPlay never worked for me.
Setup: iPhone 12pro iOS 16 + AUDI MMI 3 + wireless CarPlay

Can see icon on home CarPlay display but:

• no icons on the ARC app screen
  • impossible to start a song form the car display
  • loading very very slow
  • when play initiated form the phone, is starts playing but showing wrong album art.

Overall not usable.

See attached 2 screenshots:

2 Likes

Hiya I can’t seem to get this ARC to work in Android Auto. I’ve enabled developers mode and allowed other apps etc but nothing… doesn’t appear.

Would anyone have any suggestions.? Thanks

Love Roon Arc and Carplay! The one thing I would love though (It may have already been suggested) Is the artists search could do with a letter system to more quickly (and safely) access different artists. Apple carplay does. It has a set of letters down the right hand side of the list and you can select from there.

4 Likes

I fully agree. Maybe do it for albums as well.

1 Like

Great start, thank you for CarPlay. Searching titles, artists or albums could be easier!

2 Likes

Same. Get the same message. From day 1. Probably my fault but not worth ant more effort.

Can get music to play but if I hit the now Playing button ,it does nothing on CarPlay screen. I cannot see what’s playing