Roon ARC casting to local network roon ready device

The new Roon ARC feature is welcome and awesome! I have a second home with its’ own roon ready devices.
It would be fantastic if the roon arc mobile app would allow casting or redirection of its’ audio to a roon ready, or other suitable standard, device on the same network as the mobile device.
This feature is present in the Qobuz app in which my KEF LS50 II is offered as the playback device from within the Qobuz app.

I agree. The “ARC outside” to “Roon inside” experience is a little awkward.

ARC seems to automatically update your last used in-home Roon endpoint with whatever was playing on ARC, but that’s often not the thing the user will want. ARC seems to insert the stuff played into the queue of the last active endpoint, which seems strange, as that’s not what was actually played at that endpoint. So Roon is trying to integrate ARC behavior and Roon Remote, but there’s certainly room for improvement here.

Suggestion: rather than full “casting” support, maybe just have Roon Core see ARC as just another endpoint and allow “zone transfer” from ARC to any other endpoint, as suggested in this thread: Roon ARC should be visible as an audio device - #7 by Fred_von_Lohmann1

4 Likes

Plus one to the full “casting” idea - allowing ARC to discover Roon-compatible playback endpoints on a local network that is not the network where the core is, and to forward the over-the-internet streams to those local playback endpoints, would be an amazing value add.

If ARC could help everyone leverage the investment in Roon we’ve already made, but in secondary locations - this would be a huge win. E.g. ability to use Roon while at a friend’s house who happens to have Roon-compatible playback gear, a vacation home etc.

I’m never going to buy multiple core licenses, nor carry my Roon core + library around… adding features to the ARC app to allow it to forward its “over-the-internet” streams to local network Roon playback endpoints would solve this problem elegantly.

4 Likes

ARC is able to stream over Airplay. It would be great, if something similar would be able for android. Casting or something like Spotify connect or Tidal connect.

In other words, to get Musik out of ARC wirelessly and lossless.

1 Like

I voted up this feature because I use a Chromecast Audio device to listen to music at work. Being able to cast my personal library from roon ARC would convince me to switch over from my Plexamp which has this feature. Roon radio and navigation is far superior, but the convenience of casting is important to me.

I was going to start a similar thread when I saw it is already there. I agree with suggestion below. This would make things more social. Better still we could share tracks and playlists with other roon friends, and add music to their library. Could start if both subscribe to Tidal or Qobuz, then even private library tracks.