14TB ZFS pool

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Draytek Vigor 2960

Connected Audio Devices

Roon ARC over WIFI and 4G

Number of Tracks in Library

Around 10,000 tracks

Description of Issue

After internet provider change (and thus fixed IP change) I kept on getting “poor connection” error in ARC either on WIFI or 4G. Checking Roon core connection provided me: Your Roon Core was automatically configured and has been confirmed to be securely accessible by Roon ARC.
After resetting ARC on my phone and logging back in, the problem disappeared.

This leads me to believe that ARC on the phone is caching some details around how to connect to my Roon Core. This surprises me as a proper architecture should have let ARC first dial to a Roon central registry on startup to get the latest connection details to my local Roon Core so it can deal with changes in reachability. Also note that I have a fixed port setup which did not change during the provider change.

It would have been helpful to be able to get a real error message detailing how ARC couldn’t connect to my core properly. A “poor connection” error is too generic and also easy to point towards an incorrect conclusion which often is: “must be the quality of the network”.

If Roon could be less black box and more open around it’s connectivity architecture and workflow a lot of problems would be easier to solve and for us as a community to help out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.