Intel NUC 10i7FNH2, 8GB RAM, 256GB M.2 SSD
ROCK 1.0 (build 227)
Roon Core 2.0 (build 1133)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Internet/WAN: DSL 100 Mbit/s
Router: fritz!box 7590
Roon ARC port: automatically detected and working

Connected Audio Devices

iPhone 12 with iOS 16.0.3 and Roon ARC 1.0.23 (build 59)
connected by mobile network with LTE (4G)

Number of Tracks in Library

~300,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Roon ARC works for me for some minutes only. Then the app freezes or crashes.
After a crash I tested on same location streaming with the Tidal app. This was possible every time, I tried it.

I think this is a bad app behavior. I expect at least an error message from a good designed app. I waited for the second published version of Roon ARC before raising this issue.

I hope you can help me and improve Roon ARC :crossed_fingers:.
BTW: why an additional app? Integrate it in Roon 2.0 app. I have no problems with Roon 2.0 core and remote clients.

2 Likes

Update:

• Roon Core 2.0 (build 1143)
  • iPhone 12 with iOS 16.1 and Roon ARC 1.0.24 (build 64)

Issue is still present even within the same Wifi of the Core

Hi Support-Team,

I raised my issue with Roon ARC 15 days ago without any response.
How can I get support? How to open a support ticket?

I am not a satisfied customer. Please do more testing on your software before publishing.
Thanks.

Update 2:

• Roon Core 2.0 (build 1148)
  • iPhone 12 with iOS 16.1 and Roon ARC 1.0.25 (build 74)

Issue is still present even within the same Wifi of the Core

Hi, @Henrik_Lampe, sorry for the late reply.

Could you, please, elaborate on how often does that happen? Is it during every run?

Roon ARC works for me for some minutes only. Then the app freezes or crashes.

May I also ask you to reproduce this problem and provide a timestamp when this happened and your local time zone?

Thanks!

–
Ivan

Thanks for taking care.

Yes sooner or later it freezes.
Example from now 14:22 (UTC+1)

Thank you for the reply. We are going to gather data from the diagnostics report system and investigate this case. The support team will contact you as soon as we have any consistent information.

Thanks!

–
Ivan

2 Likes

@support having the same issue with ARC freezing on iPhone 13 mini, running the latest iOS. This has continued even after the latest update yesterday.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, @soyka0120, and I’m sorry to hear that’s the case. The team is meeting today to investigate these crashes, and I will report back here as soon as we have an update. Thank you for your patience in the meantime.

1 Like

FYI, i have the same “ARC freeze issue” on my iPad Pro 9.7 (2016). But there’s no issue on my iPad Pro 12.9 (2020). 162k lossy tracks in library.

Update 3

• Roon Core 2.0 (build 1148) on ROCK/RoonOS 1.0 (build 254)
  • iPhone 12 with iOS 16.1.1 and Roon ARC 1.0.25 (build 74)

Sadly no improvement:
Freeze after about 45 sec: 10. Nov. 2022 - 13:43 (UTC+1)

Hi @Henrik_Lampe,

While the phone does show slight memory pressure, I don’t believe it’s sufficient to have caused the freezing around the timestamps you’ve reported.

In the meantime, please try uninstalling and reinstalling the ARC app, as there are several caching errors that might be contributing (or causing) these symptoms.

Do you have any VPNs or third-party network security software running on the phone? What about DACs connected?

Also, it appears that the (vast) majority of track files in your library are local content. Can you please clarify on the file format breakdown of these tracks in as much detail as possible? While ~300k tracks should still sync and perform reasonably well with ARC, if these are all extremely large, high-quality files, it may explain the memory pressure in ARC diagnostic reports.

The team will follow up once we’ve reviewed the case further. Thank you for your patience, and we’ll keep an eye out for your response once you’ve uninstalled/reinstalled the app and tested.

I reinstalled, still have the occasional freezing, but not as much as before.

Hi Connor,

when trying to use Roon ARC, I have no VPN and no DAC connected. I want to use Roon ARC with my AirPods Pro.

Roon aims to music enthusiasts. So it should not surprise them, that I have a big music collection. Here are some more details: 18059 albums: 69 of them on Tidal, all other local files on my NAS. There of DSD: 277, 24bit: 3433 and 16bit: 10898, MP3: 3300

I reinstalled Roon ARC on my iPhone 12. First sync with my Roon Core in local WiFi.
It runs now for about 30 Minutes (high score!) without any problems = playing & no freeze.
But test no. 2 outside connected by mobile network, Roon ARC does not play anything from my Roon Core. After trying to load songs it displayed “bad connection” but no freeze of the app. There is no problem to stream from Tidal on the same (outside) location. Back at home in WiFi area Roon ARC was not able to play a song. After closing and restarting Roon ARC it works again.

Conclusion: Roon ARC works in the environment where I can use Roon Remote. That is no progress in user experience (but on technical perspective, there is progress :crossed_fingers:)
My internet connection by DSL delivers 45 MBit/s upload (and 110 MBit/s download). I configured automatic bandwith adaption in Roon ARC.

I do not like the price increase for the background of a not functional software service.

Update 4

• Roon Core 2.0 (build 1169) on ROCK/RoonOS 1.0 (build 254)
  • iPhone 12 with iOS 16.1.2 and Roon ARC 1.0.27 (build 92)

I see progress :clap:
I was able to stream for about 30 Minutes to Roon ARC by mobile network. Then the app freezed.
I will test again during the upcoming weekend.

Any news from Support side?

Update 5

• Roon Core 2.0 (build 1182) on ROCK/RoonOS 1.0 (build 256)
  • iPhone 12 with iOS 16.2 and Roon ARC 1.0.28 (build 106)

Little progress: the freeze comes later now; about 15 to 30 Minutes. In addition the iPhone becomes hot.
Any news from Support side?

Hi @Henrik_Lampe,

Thank you for your patience; the team continues to investigate if there’s a bug that would cause the type of feedback loop or memory leak that would cause the symptoms you’re experiencing. It may be regular performance, depending on the phone’s available RAM and memory, as well as your connectivity circumstances.

Can you confirm the number of tracks in your library at this time? I’ll report back as soon as I have more information from development.

I am also experiencing the same issues (and have been posting on other threads). in case my info is helpful, I’ll post here as well. I have 360k tracks almost exclusively ALAC 16/44.

1 Like

Hi @connor ,

thanks for taking care.
I can confirm to have about 307,000 tracks in my local roon library.
On my iPhone 12:

• Roon ARC uses 1.96 GB
  • Roon uses 6.81 GB
    (these are secondary storage, not RAM)

Thanks @meATroon and @Henrik_Lampe,

We’ve reinvigorated our investigation and should have more fruitful results to report back soon. Thank you for the additional information and for your patience thus far.

1 Like