Roon Arc no longer connecting to core

Roon Core Machine: Mac Mini M1 16GB memory
macOS Ventura v 13.4.1(c)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Roon core connected to Bell GigaHub modem/router by ethernet through a Netgear Gigabit ethernet smart managed plus switch.
Not using a VPN.

Connected Audio Devices

Main setup is connected to home amplifier through BlueSound Node 2i. That works fine.

Roon ARC is loaded on a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5g

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

After I switched ISPs to Bell, Roon ARC worked on home network but not outside home. Below is error message:
{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“142.ddd.eee.fff”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.2.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“Did not find UPnP service with WANIPConnection on network”}
}
I tried turning the firewall on the Roon Core device off and on again and turning UPNP off and on in the router/modem. Made no difference.

Recognizing that it likely wouldn’t make a difference, I reset Roon ARC on my phone. My mistake! Now, even on the home network, I cannot connect Roon ARC to the core. On booting up Roon ARC after re-setting, I get the message: “Your core isn’t configured for access outside of your network. To connect, make sure your Roon Core is turned on and configured for remote access.” However, it does not connect.

Thanks for your help with this.
Don

Hi @Don_Willison,

We’re sorry to hear about the issue. This appears to be a network security issue, as you’ve already troubleshot for, or a potential double-NAT scenario on the part of Bell Canada. The latter is rare, based on my experience in this forum, but not unprecedented.

The managed switch might also be contributing. Do you have the most recent firmware enabled? What about multicast?

It’s also possible that Bell Canada is reserving certain port ranges. I’d suggest trying to create a manual port forwarding rule in the Gigahub web administration using the port listed in Roon → Settings → ARC. If that doesn’t help, try changing the port number in both Roon and the rule you just created.

Concerning ARC’s connectivity on the local network, it’s likely an authorization issue resulting from the uninstall/reinstall. This is something we’re working on as a high priority to fix. In the meantime, I suggest trying to restart the phone and close/open the app a few more times to clear any cached authorization data.

Thank you for your patience.

We’ll keep a lookout for your response.

Thanks, Connor, for the quick response. I will work on this tomorrow evening and get back to you. I was looking at the manual port forwarding option but wasn’t entirely sure of what to enter. Below is a screenshot of the interface. I assume I should use both protocols. I assume the external port is the one assigned in Roon ARC settings (55002) but I don’t know what the internal port should be. I assume the local IP should be for the Roon Core.

The one port forwarding setup that you see is for the TV.

Thanks, again, for your help with this.

Don

Hmm try the following

Protocol is TCP.
Both port options enter the port number that Roon is showing in the ARC setup screen.
IP address also enter what Roon is showing.

Thank you both. Roon ARC did re-connect over wifi after clearing the cache by re-booting and the manual port-forwarding works using the same external and external ports.

Don

1 Like

Once again, Roon ARC is not connecting. My manual port forwarding remains as it was when we got it working 5 days or so ago. Here is the current diagnostic information:

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“142.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.2.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“Did not find UPnP service with WANIPConnection on network”}
}

Thanks for any insights you may have in this matter.
Don

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.