Roon ARC not able to securely access Roon Core

Roon Core Machine

Dell Laptop, dedicated as a Roon Core about new 3 years ago. Windows 10.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Modem/Router: Netgear Nighthawk CXA80. This is a new modem/router. Standard set up. UPnP is enabled (checked personally in advance settings). Cell phone is a Samsung Galaxy S21.

Connected Audio Devices

Modem/Router>Wifi> Laptop>Wifi>Phone

Number of Tracks in Library

I dont know. I have about 200 albums.

Description of Issue

ARC won’t connect outside my home network.

I have UPnP enabled. I don’t have firewalls or multiple NATs.

When might I expect a response? Thank you.

Hi @Ryan_Carlson,

Thank you for the report and we’re sorry to hear that you’re having issues with ARC remote access.

The snippet you’ve posted suggests that an IPv6-format external address is available on your network, but your Core is unable to use the appropriate firewall pinhole to reach the broader internet and stream content (and authorizations, images, etc.) to/from ARC.

This problem has two common culprits.

1. A second router in the setup between your Core and the broader internet. ISP-supplied modem/router combinations, for instance.

2. Firewall settings on the upstream router (the Nighthawk, in this case).

A few suggestions:

1. In the web admin for the Nighthawk, try disabling IPv6 in favor of IPv4. Depending on your service provider, UPnP may then be able to connect via port forwarding.

2. If you do have a second router in the network, try removing it as a variable and connecting directly to the upstream router.

I also recommend disabling any VPNs you might be using.

We’ll keep a lookout for your response.

I checked “disable IPv6 firewall” in advance setting on my modem/router and all indications are you nailed it! I will test more so don’t close quite yet.

I was able to access my core remotely from my office but only for about 30 min. When I got to my office I received a message that ARC couldn’t access the core but it played everything just perfectly! but again for about 30 min. Then the message was essentially ARC cannot connect to the core.

Hello, I tried to access my core from my office WiFi and ARC said it could not connect to the core. Do I need to do something similar to the office Comcast-provided/branded modem/router? Please advise.
Ryan

Checking in. ARC cannot connect to core from WiFi while at work or anywhere . “Poor Connection” even though wifi tests well over 700mb per second. It connects while at home.
You said you’d keep a lookout for my response 7 days ago. Thanks for any help.

@Connor, you are non-responsive for two weeks please review my issue and respond. I anticipate you can view my issue based my account. I can. Let me know if I should restate my issue. Let’s not wait to let this time out over 30 days.

It’s @connor with an o, he won’t see a tag with @conner.

Let’s keep everything in one place, opening more threads will usually dilute the responses and information becomes disjointed
Thank you.

Thank you but keeping things in one place as you suggest has resulted in no response. Please repond if I should have waited a third week or started another thread.

Bumping this thread would have been the correct action in my opinion.
Which has now been done.

Ok I will bump next time.

Hi, I’m bumping this thread.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! Let’s move to solutions. Can an person at Roon suggest a solution that I could test?
Ryan Carlson

Can you connect to ARC via cellular while at the office.

Hi and thanks. I haven’t tested cellular in my office but I just tested cellular (turned off wifi on my Samsung S21 phone) while in my livingroom and ARC will not play. I’m on T-Mobile.

See “something went wrong” and “core unreachable” at the bottom of my two screen clips.

I turned Wifi back on and got this.

I hope that is the correct screen clip.

You mean your cellular plan is Tmobile. What is your home internet service provider?