Roon Arc, not connecting on production or early acess builds

Roon Core Machine

Hi, I’ve been trying to use Roon ARC, and towards that I also got my ISP (Tata Play Fiber) to convert their router to bridge mode, so effectively it only functions as a modem. UPnP is enabled on the router (Orbi). Also, the IP and port (55000) are forwarded. My Xbox recognizes it as an Open NAT. I also installed the earlyaccess software as I saw on the forum. No Success. Help! The message I see is below.

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“45.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“10.0.0.1”,“found_natpmp”:true},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“10.0.0.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“Did not find UPnP service with WANIPConnection on network”}
}

Networking Gear & Setup Details

1. Who is your internet service provider? Tata Play Fiber

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router? Orbi RBR50 router, Nokia model from Tata Play Fiber

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches? No

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security? No

Connected Audio Devices

ROCK is connected on the LAN with a Bluesound Node 2i streamer, wired connection,.

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“45.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“10.0.0.1”,“found_natpmp”:true},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“10.0.0.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“Did not find UPnP service with WANIPConnection on network”}
}

Hi Arun,

Fellow user here. I’ve quoted the standard support response for your status code. That might point you in the right direction until official support steps in.

The diagnostics you’ve provided suggest that UPnP is not properly configured on your router.

Please first try the following steps:

• Try to enable UPnP/NATPMP in the web administration interface for the router directly upstream from your Core
  • Try to manually open the port in your router’s port forwarding configuration
  • Make sure the IP/Port matches the Port listed in Roon → Settings → ARC
  • Check for any VPNs or Firewalls that might be interfering
  • Check if your modem is in Bridge mode
2 Likes

Hi @Arun_Unni,

Tata Play, your internet service provider, very likely employs a carrier-grade network address translation that is blocking your attempts to port forward.

In addition to the steps suggested by our helpful moderators above, it might be worth reaching out to Tata Play’s support team to pass along the following questions:

1. if a dedicated external IP address is available.
  2. whether their CG-NAT (carrier-grade network address translation) is IPv4 or IPv6. In the event that you have an assigned IPv6 external address, we are testing compatibility in the #earlyaccess program and hope to allow for out-of-the-box port forwarding soon.

We’ll keep a lookout for your response. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @Rugby, tried all your suggestions. Unfortunately, couldnt get it to work. Thanks for the inputs, though!

@connor, I did manage to get a dedicated external IP address from my ISP, and that worked! It’s a pretty onerous ask, I think, and probably severely limits the users who you’d want to use Roon Arc?

Make sure within Roon your port did not change from 55000 to 55002 because you will need to change that back to 55000. I know you said you have forwarded 55000 and your IP on the Orbi, So with that being said UPnP is not needed for ARC to work.

Its still 55000 and working. Now I daren’t switch off UPnP for fear of it (and the XBox) not working.

Hi @Arun_Unni,

You’re absolutely right that we’d hope to spare our users the step of having to contact an ISP to request a dedicated address. For this reason, we’re testing IPv6 compatibility over in #earlyaccess that should allow for ARC and Roon to function out-of-the-box with a wider swathe of internet service providers.

These compatibility changes should be released in a future update. Until then, please do reach out if you have any difficulties again with ARC. Fortunately, most of our users who have requested dedicated external IP addresses have seen stable performance afterwards.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.