Roon ARC "Not Ready" - Roon ARC will not be able to access your Roon Core

Roon Core Machine

Mac mini (M1, 2020)
macOS Monterey Version 12.6
Memory: 16GB
Roon version 2.o (build 1128) installed.
“Accept connections from remotes” set to Yes.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet connects Mac Mini to a D-Link DGS-108 switch which is connected to an Arris DG2470 router. Not using VPN (as far as I know, not sure what that is).

Connected Audio Devices

USB output from Mac Mini to a Bricasti M1 DAC. That’s connected to my stereo via RCA cables. The monitor for my Mac Mini is my 4K LG TV and I connect that via HDMI to see and control the Mini.

Number of Tracks in Library

152,363 tracks

Description of Issue

I installed Roon ARC on my iPhone 14 Pro. Although I can use it at home to play my Roon library, I can’t access the library from outside the home. On my Mac Mini, when I go to “Roon → Settings → Roon ARC,” it says: “Not ready. Roon ARC was unable to securely access your Roon Core.”

What I don’t understand is why I would get this message when my entire setup is on this Mac Mini. The Roon software on my Mac Mini and my drive of music files IS the Core, isn’t it? So why does that same software say it can’t find the Core?!

On the same page I see these diagnostics:
{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“209.122.xxx.xxx”,“router_external_ip”:null},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

If I select “Start Troubleshooting” I’m brought to a web page with information I can’t follow. I don’t know how to log into my router to check the configuration, so I’m dead in the water. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

When at home, you are using your “in house” WIFI network to connect your phone to your Roon core via your router. Away from home, you are using your phone’s cellular data connection to connect your phone to your Roon core via the nearest cell tower and your router. To do that, you need port forwarding set up properly on your router to let the signals pass through your router to and from your Roon core.

1 Like

Based on that feedback, I did more digging and was able to set this correctly (I think, I still need to test outside my home).

I was able to log into my router by, of course, typing in the CORRECT IP Address in my browser (I’d initially used the wrong address). I followed the below configuration steps for my router and now Roon ARC on my core says “Ready.” So I think I’m good now.

The steps I followed, in case anyone also needs them, were:

1. Go to your gateway address (mine was 192.168.0.1)
  2. Login. Default user/password is admin/password
  3. Go to the “Firewall” tab.
  4. Ensure that “Enable Firewall” is checked. (Be sure to hit “Apply” if you have to check it)
  5. Click on “Virtual Servers / Port Forwarding” on the left.
  6. Add an entry for your desired port and internal ip etc. (If you’re just forwarding one external port to the same internal port, then you’ll end up typing that same port # four times, twice in each range)
  7. Save.
2 Likes

That sounds about right. You can test it now. Go into your iPhone settings and turn off WIFI. Make sure cellular is turned on. If it works, you’re good to go. Just remember to turn WIFI back on so you don’t use up your cellular data sitting at home.

Just make sure you have a data plan on your phone that allows for plenty of data - Roon can use a lot of data depending on your quality settings, and if you only have a 1G/M or smaller data cap plan you could get a nasty surprise - but with moderate use it should be no different to using Tidal or other music streaming service apps.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.