Roon ARC not working with Greenlight Fiber Optic Network & Modem and Netgear Nighthawk Router

Roon Core Machine

NUC8i3BEH; 8GB DDR4 RAM; 2TB internal Samsung SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Nighthawk Netgear MR60 WiFi 6 Router; (2) MS60 Satellites; Netgear GS105 Gigabit switches; WiFi & Ethernet; no VPN

1. Who is your internet service provider?
    Greenlight Networks Fiber Internet
  2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?
    Intertek 4006119 (Nokia) fiber to CAT modem connected via CAT to router shown above
  3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
    No.
  4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?
    No.

Connected Audio Devices

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

Roon ARC not able to access Roon Core. This is the error message I receive from Roon:
{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“8.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

UPnP is enabled; port numbers defined to match at 55000-55002 for both internal & external

Thanks for any help you can give me.
David

Hi @David_Hampson,

If I understand right you have the following setup:

Intertek 4006119 (Nokia) → Netgear → Roon Core

Two remarks:

1. Setting UPnP and port forwarding that uses the same port at the same time often results in a conflict.
  2. Is the Intertek a router with a firewall too? If so, you might have a multiple nat situation.

Thank you for responding, Joost. I don’t know if the Intertek modem has a firewall, it’s provided by Greenlight Networks. I will change the port numbers so they don’t match. Do you have recommended port numbers?

David

I’m not familiar with the Intertek/Nokia solution and I can’t find any info on it. I can’t access the website of Greenlight Networks, probably because I am not in the United States.
You will first have to find out if the Interlink/Nokia device you got from your provider does have a firewall. Perhaps you have a manual or can download it? Or contact your provider for the info.

Ah, someone in my neck of the woods. (I’m in Webster.)

I was contemplating Greenlight, but Frontier fiber is cheaper. I’m getting it installed next week.

Do you still use the same router? I don’t believe modems have a firewall.

Frontier supposedly lets one use their own router? Doesn’t Greenlight?

That might solve your problems.

I’ll look into that. Thanks again, Joost.

Good luck with Frontier. I’ve been very happy with Greenlight. I’m using Greenlight’s fiber-to-CAT modem and my Netgear ethernet/WiFi router/mesh system. I don’t have a fiber-to-CAT router. Is there such a device?

I just got off the phone, i.e. my cell as I don’t have Frontier’s overpriced phone service, with tech support. I had a few pre-installation questions to ask so installation would go easier. They couldn’t answer them.

I am beginning to regret my fiber decision.

No. One would need a modem, no matter what.

That is how I want to set up my connection. Frontier’s tech support couldn’t tell me whether a Netgear router would work with their system, or even whether the output from their modem was Ethernet or coax.

So it goes, but for $40 a month subscription, I’ll straighten those details out with the install technician, or maybe not. :slightly_smiling_face:

How did Greenlights’ install go? Did you need to kick in a set up fee?

We paid a $100 installation fee. Our monthly payments are $50 for 500Mbps upload & 500Mbps download. Installation went smoothly and everything has worked great, no problems, for a year now.

1 Like

Joost,
I said that the Greenlight Intertek/Nokia a modem but it’s an ONT that connects via CAT to my router. Does that make any difference in what I have to do to get Roon ARC to work in my system? Thanks.
David

Greenlight uses CG Nat. At this point your only option is to pay Greenlight for a public IP. I believe it is $10 a month. I am waiting for Roon to come up with a solution for CG Nat as I am not willing to spend another $10 a month to stream remotely on Greenlight. You can always download local content to Arc when on your home network. That has been what we are doing

Thanks for the information, Ryan. ARC would be nice to have but it isn’t necessary, for me. I have an A&K SR25 DAP that I keep updated with all my downloaded music and that’s really all I need for now so I’ll wait to see if Roon come up with the solution you mentioned.

Hey @David_Hampson,

You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

Following up on this thread, it does appear that Greenlight is currently using CG-Nat. We’re investigating solutions around this, but for the time being, it still might be worth giving them a call to inquire about obtaining a static IP.

I will certainly keep you updated as things progress on our end :+1:

Thanks for the follow-up. Since it would cost extra each month for a static IP from Greenlight, I will wait for a solution from Roon.

Takes away some of the benefits of getting off Spectrum cable, doesn’t it?

In another thread, I talked with you about Greenlight vs. Frontier fiber.

I got Frontier last week and the conflict with the port ARC was using was so severe it not only brought down my Ethernet and Wifi connections but it so completely crushed my router software that I couldn;t even log in.

I guess I could have jerked around with changing the port addresses, but since I have no intention of using ARC, I just put a zero in the ARC port field.

Good luck.

BTW - Talking to Frontier tech isn’t worth wasting one’s time on, IMO.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.