Roon ARC poor connection error

Roon Core Machine

Ubuntu server 22.04.1 LTS / 5.15.0-53-generic. Core i5, 16 gigs RAM.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Nighthawk R7000 / no VPN / both ethernet and wifi.

Connected Audio Devices

1. Phone with Roon ARC on it. OnePlus 10t. Has full bars, and “5G” connection with T-Mobile. No issues accessing websites etc. No VPN installed on my phone, or on my home network.
  2. Dietpi v8.10.2 with Roon endpoint installed

Number of Tracks in Library

~17,000 tracks

Description of Issue

I get a “poor connection” error message on Roon Arc on my phone when not connected to my home wifi.
I did have an error in the Roon app / settings / Roon ARC page, so I followed the forum suggestions and forwarded port 55000 to my internal server IP.
After port forwarding, the error message in my Roon app (settings / Roon ARC) went away, and now says “Ready, Roon ARC can securely access your Roon Core” / “Your Roon Core was automatically configured and has been confirmed to be securely accessible by Roon ARC.”

However, the phone still gives “poor connection” error messages when not on wifi, even after I rebooted the phone and rebooted the server. Phone signal has full “5G” bars, and otherwise has no problem accessing web pages etc etc.

Roon ARC on the phone was “reset” (as well as uninstalled and reinstalled). The phone can see my core, with status “Online and ready”, but when I try to connect, that’s when I get the “poor connection” error message above.

What else can I try to configure to fix this?

Hey @Adam_Macielinski,

It’s great to see you on the Roon Community! You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

Following up on this thread, do you only see this issue happen when specific content? Does this happen when playing local tracks from your library? If it’s only Tidal/Qobuz tracks, please logout and relog into your Qobuz account, and power cycle your core.

Please take note of the date, time, and name of the track the next time this happens and share it here :+1:

This ended up being a tech issue with my phone. How likely is it that a phone has solid wifi data connection, but intermittent mobile data connection? SMS and phone calls worked just fine, but only the mobile data was intermittent. Very odd. Anyway, with a replacement phone in hand, ARC worked great. Even over VPN.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.