Roon Arc - Roon Core on Synology NAS - VPN

Hi all, please assume limited knowledge of networks / subnets / port forwarding etc :slight_smile:

As per the title I’m running Roon Core on my Synology NAS and it’s the VPN that messing up the ARC connection.

Roon has setup the port forwarding on my Router fine with my setup on 192.xxx.xxx.xxx. The Core shows it is ARC ready on 192.xxx.xxx.xxx my NAS address with the default ARC port. The ARC app on my iPhone connect fine and it all works.

When I turn on my VPN on the NAS the VPN is on 10.xxx.xxx.xxx and my NAS shows it’s default gateway as a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx address however the NAS IP remains on the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx.

The Roon Core then changes it’s IP to the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx and the Core errors and of course the app fails to connect.

Core error below

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“Success”,“status_code”:200,“error”:“”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx”,“router_external_ip”:“xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.xxx.xxx.xxx”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

Any work around / guidance??

Thanks in advance J

Roon Core Machine

Synology NAS DS1513+
Intel Atom D2700 2.13GHz 4gb Ram
Running “Roon Server” (CORE) by Christopher Rieke Version 20220216

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router TP-LINK Archer VR900
GS116UK 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch
Bonded 2 x CAT5 to NAS from Switch

Connected Audio Devices

KEF LSX2

Number of Tracks in Library

Approx. 1,000 tracks

Description of Issue

See above

@Jason_Gibbons, I have moved your post to the #support:port-forwarding-help category, so it gets appropriate attention.

It would be really helpful if you complete the template (below) and include information about your ISP, the modem/router make and model, and any other network equipment you use. Additionally, please describe the VPN: what device is it installed on, etc.? Finally, please paste the message from Roon > Settings > Roon ARC. Thanks.

Roon Core Machine

<!‐-Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>

Networking Gear & Setup Details

<!‐-Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet, are you using VP-‐>

Connected Audio Devices

<!‐-Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)-‐>

Number of Tracks in Library

<!‐-Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”-‐>

Description of Issue

<!-‐Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!-‐>

Boing! Any thoughts on this anyone? Thanks in advance J

Hi @Jason_Gibbons,

Thank you for writing and patiently awaiting a response from us.

I want to clarify one thing. It sounds like ARC works when the VPN is not employed. Is this correct?

VPN’s fall under the category of tinkering and are not officially supported by Roon. I suspect you’re not the first person to try and make this work or have this issue though. Let me know for sure. I don’t want to move you over into tinkering if it’s inappropriate to do so.

Thanks,
Wes

Correct, it all works fine when the VPN is off

If you wish to research and tinker I would review the tread below.
If you install Tailscale on your NAS your can use it for both ARC and remote access to the NAS instead of using Synology Quick connect.

I have installed it and its used now for all my Synology applications for external access.
No port forwarding required as it acts as a VPN and you use your local IP addresses for access.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.