ROON ARC stopped working (Verizon FIOS)

I had ARC connected (although really unstable. after the last update it no longer says its connected and I get this …

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:502,“error”:“error: Error: connect EHOSTUNREACH 108.aaa.bbb.ccc:38841, response code: undefined, body: undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“108.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“2600:4040:2cbb:e700:baae:edff:fe76:2c81”,“router_external_ip”:“108.aaa.bbb.ccc”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

The diagnostics you’ve provided suggest that UPnP is enabled on your network, but your router is refusing the connection. This is either the result of UPnP not being enabled properly on your router, or settings at the level of your internet service provider.

First, to confirm the issue is not with your local network setup:

• Try to enable UPnP/NATPMP in the web administration interface for the router directly upstream from your Core
  • Try to manually open the port in your router’s port forwarding configuration
  • Make sure the IP/Port matches the Port listed in Roon → Settings → ARC
  • Check for any VPNs or Firewalls that might be interfering
  • Check if your modem is in Bridge mode

If you continue to experience difficulties, we recommend reaching out to your internet service provider and passing along the following questions:

• Have you implemented carrier-grade NAT for my account level?
  • Have you fully implemented IPv6, or do you have IPv4 addresses available?
  • Can I request a static IPv4 address to support port forwarding?
  • Are there any ports you have reserved at the ISP level I should be aware of?
1 Like

Ok. I confirmed UPnP was enabled. I disabled IPV6 i made sure the ROON Core IP was right and set all the port forwards to 55000. Still doesnt work.
@Martin_Webster artin_Webster

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“108.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“108.aaa.bbb.ccc”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

The revised diagnostics you’ve provided suggest that UPnP is not properly configured on your router.

Please first try the following steps if you’ve not already done so:

• Try to enable UPnP/NATPMP in the web administration interface for the router directly upstream from your Core
  • Try to open the port manually in your router’s port forwarding configuration
  • Make sure the IP/Port matches the Port listed in Roon → Settings → ARC
  • Check for any VPNs or Firewalls that might be interfering
  • Check if your modem is in Bridge mode

If you continue to experience difficulties, please tag the support team and include the following information:

1. What is the make and model of your modem and router?
  2. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
  3. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region?
  4. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem, or do you have the ports forwarded on both?

Thank you the quick response.

I have done the 1st 3.

I have set all firewall ingredients to the lowest setting.

Not sure how to tag support

I have a Verizon gateway 3100 router. No separate modem to my knowledge

I have Verizon FIOS in the mid Atlantic US. Maryland.

This is how you tag @support, @Ben_Katz. :slight_smile:

Thanks for that

1 Like

Hi @Ben_Katz,

As a FIOS user, you should have what’s called an Optical Network Terminal that functions like a modem. It’s described here: Optical Network Terminal (ONT) | Verizon Phone Support.

Do you use FIOS TV at all? Otherwise, the ONT functions like a router, and you can hardwire your Core directly there to remove the double NAT layer that’s likely interfering with UPnP. See this thread: (ARC) FiOS users, You don't need the G3100 in your network (unless you have FiOS TV)

On a separate note: try disabling UPnP in the Verizon FIOS router now that you’ve created a manual rule.

We’ll keep an eye out for your response.

Its too far from my core to directly plug in .

Did you have any luck after disabling UPnP? If not, are there any new diagnostics in Roon → Settings → Roon ARC? We’ll proceed from there with next steps.

I had no luck at all. I was very optimistic about the new update which i downloaded last evening. It deleted my Project S2 didital DAC which is ROON ready. I tried rebooting my core and niw it wont come up. I am HARD DOWN no ROON at ALL. I am able to play music through JRIVER and it all happened right after i updtaed the core. Have you heard anyhting about a hot fix? @connor

Hi @Ben_Katz,

Please forgive the radio silence - I saw that my colleague @benjamin was assisting you in a separate thread over here. Am I correct that basic functionality has returned to Roon?

Diagnostics indicate that Verizon likely has since assigned an IPv6 address to your account since you initially setup ARC. They are in the process of rolling out IPv6 for their residential-tier accounts, and other users have reported similar symptoms after Verizon silently reassigned their IP address. It might be worth checking on your FIOS web administration page if IPv6 is enabled here.

Unfortunately, ARC is not yet compatible with IPv6 in the main production release available to the public. However, we’re testing compatibility for IPv6 over in #early-access, our beta test group, if you’re interested in giving it a shot. You can join Early Access by following the steps on this page: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-early-access-program

Otherwise, I’m going to recommend a workaround that has restored functionality for users stranded by port forwarding failures: a third-party app called TailScale. You can learn more in this thread: Success with Tailscale VPN

Nonproblem. I had worked with verizon and diabled the ipv6 about a month ago. I checked and i believe the ip addreas is the same.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.