Roon ARC unable to connect error 998

Roon Core Machine

Mac OS Monterey
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
Apple M1 Pro
16 GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear R6220

1. Who is your internet service provider?
    You Broadband, India

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?
    Netgear AC1200 R6220

1. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?

2. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?

Connected Audio Devices

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

{

“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkTimeout”,“status_code”:998,“error”:“”},

“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“xxx”,“router_external_ip”:null},

“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},

“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}

}

It appears that uPnp isn’t active in your router. See information in this article:

Thanks Joost !

I actually found the Router settings of uPnp switched on so I don’t know why it’s not working. I have seen the article and I tried its recommendation of manual port forwarding (in spite of being challenged by all the tech jargon ! ) but even this does not seem to work (or I am not sure I getting it right )

1 Like

I had the same issue with my Netgear router, Upnp alone did not fix it, I had to do port forwarding and it is fairly easy. Go to Advanced, port forwarding, type in a name for your device, type in the device IP address, type in the Roon default port, or the port Roon currently says and whala!

2 Likes

Hi @Abhijit_Pradhan,

I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We’re quite busy with port forwarding questions! I see that @Stephen_Horvath chimed in with some extraordinarily relevant information. Please give this a try first.

Here’s some more jargon for you but it’s what we provide to those with 998 errors.

Thank you for your patience while we’ve diligently worked to reach every request for support with port forwarding. The diagnostics you’ve provided suggest that your Core is having difficulty reaching our servers. There are several independent factors that can cause this error, so we recommend double-checking the following to initiate troubleshooting:

• Is your router firmware up to date?
  • Do you have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security on this network?
  • Are you experiencing any issues with Roon Remotes, or other apps on your local network?

If you continue to experience difficulties, please tag the support team and include the following information:

1. What is the make and model of your modem and router?
  2. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
  3. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region?
  4. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem or do you have the ports forwarded on both?

A post was split to a new topic: ARC ETIMEDOUT error

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.