Roon ARC vs Roon Remote with iPhone endpoint

My Roon ARC seems to have EATEN my Roon Remote; remote won’t stop looking for updates and won’t function as a remote anymore, while Roon ARC is happy with all my stuff on my phone now. I.e., I can’t play my beautiful music at home like I could before ONLY on my phone.

It works the same as normal Roon in regards to streaming. It just doesn’t have the Qobuz browsing section you can search and play all your favourites just the same.

1 Like

Did you update the remote app?

Roon ARC = Roon With A View? :wink:

1 Like

I had to uninstall the Roon Remote and reinstall it. Now it works again.

2 Likes

Roon ARC is a great concept and works great, I love it.

5 Likes

Will you be extending the Roon ARC to Windows 11 so we can use a Surface/Laptop/Computer when we are in a remote location to access our Roon music?

We ask because IMHO most blue tooth DAC connections reduce the fidelity too much.

Thanks Roon!!

Can I use Roon Arc in my car if I don’t have android audio or Apple CarPlay? Can I just connect using Bluetooth from my head unit? And if so how do I do this? Thanks

You can connect an external DAC to your iphone using a camera adapter and a usb cable. Not quite sure what happens with Android phones.

Yes just connect by Bluetooth and it works fine with limited functionality on the screen depending on your vehicle.

Just follow your card instructions for connecting a Bluetooth device. This is a function of your phone and your car not Roon.

1 Like

Ok will give it a try , thanks for explanation.

1 Like

Brian…seriously? So run run your main home system through your phone? I gotta ask…Why?

Me too Jerry…It’s all good now though…

I think you misunderstood me.

I prefer ARC if the audio is going to pass through the phone.

Meaning, in situations where I would have previously used Roon Remote to play through the phone I now use ARC to play through the phone.

Mowing the lawn with my WorkTunes? ARC.

Working out on a stationary bike with bone conduction headphones? ARC.

And so on.

3 Likes

Got ya now! All I know is ARC sounds better on my Headphones while doing my Daily Dog walk than iTunes for sure. Another great benefit of being a Roonie Lifer…

Does playing via ARC on the same home network (Wi-Fi) as my Roon Core send the data out to “the internet” and then back into my LAN? i.e. will it count towards the WAN upload/download data cap of my home ISP? Assuming I’m only talking about tunes that are on my home PC Library, and not coming from Tidal.

I kinda maybe understand why there are two separate apps for Remote vs ARC, because they serve slightly different base functions and maybe some users don’t ever need the ARC functionality – but why do they have totally different UI/UX? e.g. the Search icon is top-right on the Remote, and bottom middle on ARC. The Now Playing screens are totally different, etc.

Honestly it seems like Roon should dump the Remote app, since it’s clearly not a native iPhone app – even on an iPhone 13 Pro, the scrolling is jaggy… but on the ARC app it’s fairly smooth.

No, it doesn’t go out to the internet and back if you’re within the WiFi network.

4 Likes

I don’t know, but I suspect if you combined the Roon Remote and Roon ARC app into one, it would be very complicated and probably would not do either function as well as keeping them separate. I don’t see any advantage to combining them.

Seems to me, the Roon Remote app needs a lot of functionality and complexity while the Roon ARC app should be keep light and simple.

I basically assumed that’s why they made two different apps, but it’s still a bit baffling that the functionality that the apps do share in common is given a totally different interface in Remote vs ARC. Something as simple as the Now Playing screen should be almost identical. And other similarities such as viewing an Album, and selecting Start Radio are totally different – in the Remote app, it’s a prominent drop-down of the main purple “Play Now” button on the Album page. But in the ARC app, Start Radio is hidden behind 3 dots […] in the top right corner of the app. Very strange.