Roon Audio Crackles and Breaks Up Intermittently

If it is the Bluesound you can at least report the issue to them for a possible fix. But stuttering via their wireless implementation has been something of an issue in the past, though more with the 2i than the 2.

Actually, the problem is Roon, not Bluesound. Doing some troubleshooting with Bluesound, we found that if I played Tidal through the native BluOS, the sound was perfect. The same track through Roon crackled and broke up. So the theory is that Roon puts more demands on the home WiFi network than a plain streamer, and needs a more robust set up. We’ll see, once I get a new set of Eeros.

I understand why you say the problem is Roon, but if another Roon endpoint can feed that DAC without problems, then the issue is the way the Bluesound Node works with Roon. That is something only Bluesound can fix. Even if the issue is elderly Roon Ready firmware, if Roon have issued newer software then Bluesound need to incorporate it. Ultimately you have to eliminate or prove it is the Node before anyone, be that Roon or Bluesound can move forward. There is no judgement here, just cold hard logic designed to get closer to the source of your problem.

1 Like

Update: I received and upgraded WiFi to Eero 6+ (3 pack). Unfortunately, the problem persisted.

So, I bought the newest Bluesound Node from Amazon, knowing that if it didn’t solve the problem, I could return it to Amazon no questions asked.

I’m happy to report that the new Node solved the problem. The audio quality is back to its undisturbed glory. It took about $900 dollars to get there, but I’m assuming I’ll have at least another 5 years to enjoy the Roon experience before any further upgrades are required.

Thanks again for your help navigating.

3 Likes

I had this exact issue, I found a post that said factory reset the Bluesound node, which I did, and the issue went away. Probably a bit late, but if it happens on your new device any time in the future, give it a go, it only takes a few minutes to do.

Hi, Neil. Thanks for the comment. My understanding is that the only way to do a factory reset on a Node is by disconnecting the power, which I did numerous times throughout my extended troubleshooting. Is there some other secret way?

Anyway, apart from the cost, I don’t mind an upgrade to my WiFi and Node. Long gone are the days when you could buy a stereo component and use it productively for 20 or more years.

Pulled this off the Bluesound support site for resetting the Node series:

Disconnect the player from electrical power.
Wait 30 seconds.
Reconnect the power.
Once the LED turns Red, press and hold the PLAY/PAUSE button. ...
After 30 seconds, the LED will begin to blink red – then release the button.
All customization to the Bluesound player will be removed and restored to factory settings.

Maybe this will help.

Hmm. I wish I’d known that. Should have dug deeper into the Support area. Now that the system works, I’ll keep the new Node anyway. Future-proofing. Maybe an incremental gain in audio quality. Thanks again.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.