Roon audio device and remote app can link roon core by using L2TP/IPSec across WAN

I am runing roon server on my Synology NAS (DS 918+)

I instal VPN Server packages on nas, then start L2TP/IPSec server.

I had tested Windows and Android using VPN client connect the L2TP/IPSec server, it works.

Windows 10 need add an item in registry (search on google).

I also test OpenVPN, Android works fine. But Windows can connect roon server by input IP or domain name. but roon can not find windows 10 audio device.

add the item in windows registry, or you may not connect to synology L2TP/IPsec server

1. Type “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PolicyAgent” in the top search box of the Registry Editor window, or find the corresponding folder from the left panel.

2. Right-click PolicyAgent , and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value

3. Type “AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule” and click Enter.

4. Type “2” in the Value data box, select Hexadecimal , and click OK .

I had tested in my environment. My upstream bandwidth is 25Mbps.

I monitored bandwidth cost when playing music:
32bit/384khz FLAC needs approx. 20Mbps, DSD256 less than 30Mbps, 24/192 about 10Mbps, DSD 128 a little above 10Mbps, DSD64 6Mbps

So for my experience, using VPN across WAN, DSD64, 24/96 PCM, and less have good performance.
DSD128 and 24/192 perform well if there is less interference.

If your DAC support MQA Decoder and render, then TIDAL master cost less bandwidth.

When using windows 10, if you close the laptop, VPN may be lost connection, even though you set the laptop no sleep when closing the lid but not sleep.

You should open the device manager and in the network-adapter setting, uncheck the power saving option.