Roon Back up with DropBox failing

Hello,
During this summer I changed my configuration from a core on a nucleus to a core on a Macbook.
While my back up were working properly on Box with my nucleus (I have been able to install a back up on my macbook) it is now always failing to back up on box from the macbook. Other kind of back up like local on the macbook are working ok.
During programed or forced back up I get the following error message in red in Roon: "The back up failed at xx:xx:xx/Error during database back up.

• Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build) : Macbook with MacOS Catalina 10.15.6, Roon 1.7 (Build 571)

• Details on your Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build): Same roon on Macbook

• Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured): Macbook connected on Wifi to internet Box with a Core Roon. Mola-Mola Tambaqui as Roon endPoint/dac/headphone amp

• Audio devices in use : Hifiman Susvara

• Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library) : Only Qobuz Stream

Best regards
Thibaut

To be accurate the issue is with DropBox that is integrated with Roon, not Box of course.
Thibaut

Hi @Thib,

Can you please check to ensure you have enough free space on your Dropbox account to start the backup?

Hi @noris,
Yes I started by cleaning my Dropbox to make free space. It is now completely empty 100% free space:

Hi @Thib,

Thanks for checking that. Can you please try to perform another upload and let me know the exact local + date it fails and then send me a copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions? If you don’t have Dropbox / Google Drive just let me know and I can provide an alternate upload location, thanks!

@noris
Here is the time of the last fail:

And here are the logs:
Dropbox link

Hi @Thib,

Thanks for sending those logs and screenshot over! I took a look through the logs and I’m seeing a System.Net.WebException: Error: NameResolutionFailure error when trying to connect to Dropbox.

We have seen users have a better experience in the past if they change their Router’s DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS.

Can you please give this a try and let me know if it helps? Also, if you have any firewall applications which could be blocking Roon’s connection to the internet, I would check this as well.

@noris
Hi Noris, you are reaching my limit of technical expertise here. If I understand well it is like a local issue due to my network parameters. So as I am on my Holliday location and it was working properly at home, I just have to réalisé local back up during my vacations and it should work again when I will come back to my usual location.
I would like to avoid messing up with the local parameters as it is not my home here!
Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Sounds like a plan @Thib, yes it is possible that the Holiday home has a different DNS configuration that is causing issues with the backup. Using local backups in the interim is a good thought, and if you still have issues when you return back to your regular home, please do let us know, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.