Roon backup causes sonicTransporter endpoint to fail [Resolved - ST was acting as a "second" Roon core]

Hello, @support and @agillis. Here’s one for you.

I run my Roon core on a Small Green Computer i7 CAPSZuma box that Andrew built for me. That server is ethernet connected to the sonicTransporter and my Bel Canto renderer.

I have had Roon set to backup each evening at 2 a.m. to my NAS. When I wake up in the morning, the Bel Canto renderer endpoint connected to the sonicTransporter is gone. All other endpoints (10 other ones) are present. Only the sonicTransporter endpoint disappears from Roon.

I changed my backup to 3 days last night. And this morning, the Bel Canto renderer endpoint is present. So, this behavior seems to be related to the Roon backup process.

There seems to be nothing wrong with the sonicTransporter. Each morning when the endpoint has disappeared from Roon, the sonicTransporter web interface reports that the Bel Canto renderer is connected. But, Roon doesn’t think so, which is why I think this is a Roon, not a sonicTransporter, issue. But, I’m copying you both to consider this.

The fix, and it does fix it each time, is to reboot Roon core on the server and, after a minute or so, reboot the sonicTransporter. Then, the Bel Canto renderer endpoint returns to Roon.

With daily backup of Roon, this gets rather tiring, as you can likely imagine. I suspect that looking at my logs for the last two nights – one with a 2 a.m. reboot and one without – may shed some light on the issue. If you think so, I’m happy to send the logs along if you provide me instructions on how to find and where to send them. Of course, let me know if you need further information. Thanks. JCR

Hi @Jeffrey_Robbins ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, the insight is very appreciated!

Moving forward, I would like to enable diagnostics on your account but I am bit confused about something in your report and I am hoping you can clarify for me :innocent: You mentioned the following:

“I run my Roon core on a Small Green Computer i7 CAPSZuma box that Andrew built for me. That server is ethernet connected to the sonicTransporter and my Bel Canto renderer.”

I want to be certain that you are not running two separate devices as your Roon core, the CAPSZuma and the SonicTransporter. Usually the ST handles the core duties, but it sounds like you are using it as a networked endpoint? Some further insight into the above would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
-Eric

@Eric, you have it right. The sonicTransporter is merely in use as a networked endpoint and not enabled as my Roon core. Only the i7 server acts as the core. Thanks. JCR

Thanks for the clarification @Jeffrey_Robbins, very appreciated!

Moving forward, I have went ahead and enabled diagnostics on your account so we can try to get a better sense as to why the ST + Bel Canto renderer are being dropped in the application after a backup takes place. Once I have some feedback from our tech team I will be sure to touch base with you ASAP. Your patience is very appreciated while we conduct our investigation.

-Eric

Sounds good, @Eric. As I noted earlier, I’ve set backups now for each three days. Sure enough, two nights ran with no issues and then last night, the endpoint dropped and I rebooted Roon core on the server this morning. I trust that my reboots now each three days won’t interrupt your collection of diagnostic information, unless you advise otherwise. Thanks. JCR

Hi @Jeffrey_Robbins ----- Again thank you for your continued feedback but more importantly, thank you for your patience while the team has been looking into this issue for you. Both have been very appreciated!

Moving forward, the team has proposed the following test to see if we can trigger change in behavior with your original backup settings in place. Please see below.

• Please re-enable your original back up setting in the application.

"I have had Roon set to backup each evening at 2 a.m. to my NAS. "

• Please disable the following settings on your “watch” folders (temporarily):

• “Import Other Playlist”

• “Import Itunes Playlists”

• Confirm if the ST + Bel Canto endpoint disappears after the backup procedure has ran at 2am.

-Eric

Got it, @Eric. Will do so and report back. JCR

@Eric, as I change the settings as you have requested, I realize that I do not know where to find and disable “import other playlist” or “import iTunes playlist.” I have no specific listed watched folders of those names. When I first set up Roon, I even more so misunderstood the storage settings. One of my watched folders is the entire NAS and all other watched folders are childs beneath the top level NAS folder. So, I must ask for a bit more assistance in this before we can have a good test. Thanks. JCR

Hi Jeffrey,

You want to Edit your Storage > Watched Folders.

Go to Settings > Storage and click the 3 dots menu next to your Watched Folder(s) and select Edit. Under Options, you will see Import iTunes Playlists and Import Other Playlists.

I believe Eric wants you to disable (set to No) both those Playlist Imports.

Cheers, Greg

@Greg, you are spot on correct and thank you for the guidance. @Eric, I’ve disabled those settings for each of my watched folders and set backup to occur daily again at 2am. I will report back. JCR

@Eric, I can report that after disabling the “import other playlist” and “import iTunes playlists” settings on each watch folder and then setting backup to run last night, the ST + Bel Canto endpoint still does disappear after the backup procedure. And a reboot of Roonserver and of the ST + Bel Canto this morning brings the endpoint back on up. So, that was unfortunately not the solution. Thanks. JCR

Hi @Jeffrey_Robbins ----- Thank you for touching base and sharing your observations after having given the proposed test a go. The insight is appreciated.

Moving forward, I have updated my report with your findings and it is now back with our tech team for feedback. Once my report is updated and passed back I will be sure to follow up with you immediately.

Again, thank you fro your continued patience while we try to work through this issue.
-Eric