Roon Backup failed … / Music Playing

Hey,
I also have a similar problem with the backup. Only when my PC is on it can make a programmed backup on an external drive and that is certainly not at night. My agenda warns me 5 minutes in advance that a backup will be made and then I stop Music Playing and the last time I stopped the program Roon. But every time I get the message: Backup failed … / MusicPlaying: Could not start backup because music was playing (or was recently playing). How long must Roon be inactive before the scheduled backup can take place and should only music play be stopped or should Roon be closed? Or is there something else going on?
The programmed backups do work on the external drive of my sonicTransport with Roon Core, which I always leave on and on which a backup is made at night. Moreover, backup works on the external drive of the PC if I give the order for a backup even though there was music playing (it stops during backup).

Greetings, Bert.

This morning I did stop Roon one hour before back-up. The same message and no back-up.:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Hi @Bert_Dijkstra,
Something is amiss here, so I’ve split out your post into the support section of the forum.
Tagging @support to follow this up with you.

Thanks Carl.

Hi @Bert_Dijkstra,

Before the backup starts, have you ensured that music is not playing on all of your zones? If you navigate to the Zone picker, are any of your zones “moving” with the progress bar indicating that there is music playing?

Hello Noris,

I’ve got only two zones and I’m sure that nothing was playing, infact Roon wasn’t activated at all not on my PC or my sonicTransport. Further on I’m single so the only user of Roon in my apartment.
Is it possible that if Windows on my PC is using the external drive in some way that Roon can’t make a backup? I often experience that if I want to securely close the external hard disks, there will be a message that the disks are still being used by some program, which I think is a common phenomenon. Maybe my GData virusscanner uses the disks. But it seems strange to me that it is not possible to make a backup because a lot of users would have the same experience. However, I can make a forced backup even when the music was playing.

Hello Jim,

The same do I with my sonicTransport (yes at the same time) and it makes automatic back-ups without a problem. But my PC is off power at night because of the environment.

Hi @Bert_Dijkstra,

I don’t believe so, but we can check to see if logs reveal any additional information.

Can I please ask that you let me know the exact local time + date when you next experience the backup failure behavior and let me know here? Once I have this info I can enable diagnostics mode for your PC and see if there are further clues in logs. Thanks!

Hello Noris,
It seems that there are no problems anymore with the backup. The backups are now being made at 9 o’clock in the morning and I have not yet started the Roon program. At 9:15 am I check it out and see that it has always worked. As a result of which it always went wrong, with the message that music was playing or that recent was happening, I don’t know. As long as things are going well I will not report anymore. And, of course thanks for your attention to this hopefully solved problem.
Greetings, Bert.

1 Like

Hi @Bert_Dijkstra,

Glad to hear that there’s been an improvement here, if the behavior does return feel free to reach out to us again and reference this thread, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.