Roon backups size? [Answered]

Thank you. THIS is the answer. I thought it is not an issue, I only wanted to understand what is really backed up. I did actually perform an initial backup, so the following incremental backups I can expect to be significant faster. In addition I am surprised that the whole cloud metadata are now stored locally. Not a bad thing anyway. :smiley:

This is only a backup on the primary system which is multiply being transported to other storage and media. Be sure that I am paranoid enough when it comes to backup policies. :smiley: On the other hand my music files and my own metadata (30 years of “work”) are of much more importance and value for me than any kind of cloud data provided by Roon.

1 Like

Not the whole cloud … only the metadata for the albums in your library … think of it as a local cache.

3 Likes

As I said this was not an issue or an unsolved problem of system performance and the like. I only wanted to know what data are being backed up. It has been already answered in this thread.

Of course :smiley:

Agreed. That’s why I was telling @wizardofoz.

@SonicYouth95 The fact you claim your backup takes 2 hours still mystifies me…and you still seem reluctant to expand upon your system specs so I guess in that case I have nothing else I can contribute as to why it might take so long.

If you feel like enlightening those of us that stepped up to offer some help then please do or can we just assume you are ok with 2 hour back periods?

I think you need to distinguish between the initial backup and the subsequent incremental backupa, which only save changes since the last backup.

If it was taking 2 hours each time, I would be surprised but I don’t think that’s what @SonicYouth95 is saying, right? Do subsequent backups complete more quickly?

2 Likes

@mike I guess it could be read either way but I interpreted it as his backups were taking a long time to complete…each one and that’s why he was wondering what is being backed up. Clearly 2 hours to back up each time is not the norm hence my thought that this was indeed an issue he assumed was due to what and how much is being backed up.

Hopefully we will know soon and can close this or offer some other advise as to what to look for to improve things.

For comparison:
I have 2300 albums, 30k tracks.

I set up a new backup job, over wifi to a Windows share. The initial backup took 45 minutes, an incremental (with no changes) took less than a minute. This was over wifi. Objects is 2 GB, each Backup file is 3 MB (and so were my previous backups for the last few months).

Right. Only the initial backup took 2 hours. Unfortunately I cannot perform an incremental one because I deleted the first (due to it’s immense size which I disliked).

I was wondering about the size (>100 k files), not the time needed related to that size. System specs: Intel Core I7-4765T CPU 2.00GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1703). BTW Roon needs about 2 minutes to be up and running.

What? 2 minutes?
Those specs sound completely reasonable.
But 2 minutes is not reasonable.
EDIT: well, you are talking about the core? I boot my windows machine and start Roon in 45 seconds. Could 100k tracks mean that much? Seems unreasonable…

This morning I started the initial backup again. The “preparation” only took 43 minutes. Now it is “transferring” …

Yes the core, and >200 k tracks. Not reasonable nor unreasonalble, only objective measurement :smiley:

1 Like

Transferring took 97 minutes. Backup in total 43 min + 97 min = 140 min.

1 week into roon and a couple of points i could do clarifying.@support

when i open my roon backups folder i get a another folder entitled “ec2fe213-cf52-3d35-29cd-82d9df539711” opening up. when i open that i get an objects folder containing a list of numerically/alphabetically sorted folders and a backups folder. could i just check this all correct many thanks. especially the long file name above.

Yes, it is correct. Roon knows how to translate this into human-readable terms. If you go to your Backup settings, click the View button, and then click the “3 dots” menu, and choose Clean/Restore, you’ll see the list of backups that Roon knows about, as in this example:

thanks geoff,

1)if for any reason the backup info is lost how does roon reconstruct the missing data from the roon backup folder. is it just a question of pressing restore.

2)i’m using roon exclusively for tidal. i understand if i’m correct the roon backup folder contains all of my settings, links to favourites etc. but for someone with a large local library on network storage am i right in saying roon does not backup the music files there? only information about those physical music files? trying to figure this all out so i know what’s what. in the same way roon backup only saves info relating to my tidal favourites, albums ,artists and tracks and not the music files themselves. i suppose that would be an impossible task ?

many thanks mohab

In answer to your questions:

1. To restore the Roon database from the scheduled backup folder, just choose the backup you want (in the screen similar to my screenshot), and press “Restore”. More info is in the Knowledge Base here.
    You’ll have noticed that in the main Backups Settings screen, there’s an item called “Find Backups”. The purpose of this is to be able to restore a backup that may have been taken in another location. For example, suppose you had the Roon Core running on a Windows PC for a while, but then decided you wanted to move the Core to a completely different machine - for example a NUC running ROCK. You don’t want to lose all the settings and edits to the Roon database that you’ve made, so on the NUC, you could browse to the location of the old backups folder, and restore a backup from there. More info on migration is here.

2. The Backup function in Roon is indeed only for the Roon database. It does not handle backing up of your local music files. I use Allway Sync to copy my music files library across to a backup. Other solutions are available.