Roon becomes sometimes unresponsive simply while browsing (since latest update, build 898)

Roon Core Machine

iMac 27’’ mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 12Gb RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Roon Core connected to ethernet switch and to Asus RT-AC68U router
at home the Roon Core is also a player

Connected Audio Devices

Schiit Modi 3+ dac via USB to the Roon Core
Apple Airport express via WiFi

Number of Tracks in Library

about 40,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Since the last update ( build 898), the mac Roon player (which is also the Core) becomes sometimes unresponsive (spinning beach ball) when simply browsing, scrolling through album or with an album selected. This seems to happen randomly but not very often. Maybe once or twice every few days. I have to force quit Roon and restart it.
This also happens on another mac running Roon as a player (same build) but on Catalina. This mac connects to the Roon Core via an OpenVPN bridge connection (works pretty well, except for this new problem).

Hi @Vexari,

We’re sorry to hear that you’re having issues with responsiveness on your Roon Core. Can you please tell us the Mac OS that the machine is running?

Is it possible for you connect the machine directly to the router as a test, rather than chaining it off of the Switch? Additionally, can you tell us what switch you’re using.

You may also think about migrating your Core to the newer Mac machine you’re using as a Remote to see if that helps clear up your issue.

I’m now using build 913 and still get this problem where Roon becomes unresponsive on my iMac.

It just happened right now for instance. I’m using the same mac as Core and Remote.
The strange thing is I cannot then use Roon on this mac to interact with my music (spinning beach ball) but the music on my queue is still playing. I can even interact with it using Roon remote on my iPhone.
It seems that on my iMac the Core part is still running but the Remote part has crashed (if that is possible).

I also noticed that Roon uses quite a lot of CPU in the activity monitor and shows up as unresposive (see screen capture below).

OS X 10.13.6

It would be difficult to do that without getting a long dedicated ethernet cable for that.
But maybe this is not relevant as stated earlier the music is playing and I can interact with it with my iPhone

This newer Mac machine I mentioned in my first post is actually not in the same location but in my work studio. So we can forget about this, I need it there to work.
I was mentioning it because I use it sometime as a Roon Remote to my home iMac Roon Core/Remote using an Open VPN connexion and sometime the Roon Remote there hangs as well in the same way and have to force quit to get it back in workong condition. This does not happen frequently.

… happened one more time, after clicking on the back button " < "

Hi @Vexari,

We apologize for the trouble. This is an ongoing issue that we’re working on a resolution to. You can find more details here:

Can you try updating that Mac to our latest build (918) and let us know if you seen any improvements?

I’ve been running build (918) for a couple weeks and haven’t experienced the unresponsive Remote anymore. So updating to build (918) seems to have fixed my issue :slight_smile: . Thanks.
Now I’m afraid updating to build (923) will ruin everything.

1 Like

Hey @Vexari,

I understand your hesitation but want to assure you that we’re here to help with any issues you encounter during your Roon journey. We always recommend that customers update when new builds are available. Each new release includes a range of added features and improvements that will enhance your experience with Roon. We don’t want you to miss out on them.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.