this iMac is the Roon Core as well as the Roon Remote

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Roon Core connected to ethernet switch and to Asus RT-AC68U router

Connected Audio Devices

Schiit Modi 3+ dac via USB to the Roon Core
Apple Airport express via WiFi

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I’ve already written a topic about the same issue a while ago (Feb 3 2022) but it eventually got better with build (918), and the topic got closed a month later –> Roon becomes sometimes unresponsive simply while browsing (since latest update, build 898)
Now the same issue is back but this times it happens much, much more frequently :frowning:

If Roon is launched for about 12-24h or more and I select it (it is usually hidden as Roon on this iMac is my Core as well as my Remote to select what I want to listen to) the Remote part of Roon becomes unresponsive on this iMac and I cannot access the user interface to select and play music. I have to force quit Roon and launch it again to be able to access the user interface and play/edit some music on this iMac.
Even though the UI is unresponsive, the Core part of Roon is still running fine as I can use my iPhone to select and play some music.

This problem used to happen every once in a while but became more frequent with the last two updates. It now happens every time I select Roon, except if it has been started recently (a few hours a would say).

Hello @Vexari ,

Thanks for reaching out and apologize for the delay in getting back to you here. Are you still seeing this behavior at the present time?

Does this mean that you are using the “All-in-one” version of the Roon app, and the app is still accessible from other devices? If you try to use RoonServer + Roon app as different packages, do you notice just the UI aspect hang?

Is there any change in behavior if you reinstall the Roon app on the affected device? You can reinstall by using the below instructions:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup
  • Restore backup after confirming fresh database does not display the issue

Hello @noris

Sorry for the late reply. Meanwhile I went out in the mountains for a while :slight_smile:

yes exactly I’m using the “All-in-one” version and when it hangs, I can still access the server aspect with other devices.
In the meantime, I had restarted the mac and ran some maintenance scripts (using Onyx app) and it greatly reduced the occurrence of these UI hangs.

For different reasons I decided to finally upgrade the actual old iMac to a M1 Mac mini, so maybe these troubles will maybe go away.
I didn’t know one could run RoonServer + Roon app as different package on the same mac. Maybe this would be a good solution for the new Mac mini as well. At least if the UI eventually hangs I can force quit and restart without affecting the server side.
I imagine the RoonServer app takes up less resources to run than the “All-in-one” version.

1 Like