Roon + Bluesound problems [fixed by BluOS update]

@mike Thanks for the update. I actually had Ethernet installed today and have connected my bluesound players via this method. So far in the brief time I’ve used it, no drop outs but it definitely gets out of sync between the two rooms. Pausing and resuming seems to fix it. We’ll see how it goes. May be my excitement…but subjectively the sound quality “seems” improved… maybe it’s just the loss of stressing over whether or not my music will keep playing or not.

1 Like

I’ve got 11 bluesound zones in my house – 8 via 2 NAD CI580s (4 zones each) and 3 additional bluesound node 2s. I can confirm that rooms get out of sync all the time as others are experiencing. I hope the next firmware update that gets BluOS to the latest version of RAAT fixes it. I have found a work around though. If you group bluesound zones together in the BluOS app and then play the grouped zone in roon, things stay in sync. Though some of you might find that useful.

4 Likes

@mike - any update on this at all? Two specific questions: 1) Will the fixes also address the issue submitted by Brian several months back (Seeking Help from Bluesound Node2 Users). 2) In the meantime, might it be helpful to update the compatibility matrix to note that you can’t currently sync between BS and non-BS devices (similarly to the MQA caveat)? This may be helpful to potential new customers making a purchasing decision. Thanks.

I’ve asked BlueSound about this, and the RAAT update “is on their roadmap”.

I think it has been on the roadmap since last July, but wasn’t in the December release.

Thanks @dibb - it seems a long and winding road…

Looks like there’s some progress…

Interesting…perhaps…in context you can read that in different ways…it suggests to me it may be after the Easter update that’s mentioned…but that’s just speculation on my part.

Had the out of sync issue which really pissed me off - Flex (wireless) with Roon to NAD amp (D7050) via PC optical out. I changed a setting in the flex (BluOS app) from mono to stereo. Seems to have fixed the sync issue (occasionally there’s a slight sync issue for one song only)
Hope this helps
Cheers
Gary

Thanks for the idea, sadly not a fix for me - still holding out for that update. My guess is it probably won’t happen until after the presumed Roon MQA release - having been caught out before, I can’t imagine Bluesound will want to run the risk of being behind the curb again. Meanwhile, from the looks of the odd post on this forum, and my own purchasing decisions, they’re losing customers.

I would like to submit that laying these problems all at the feet of Bluesound is missing a larger picture.

Roon is implying that this is a RAAT issue, in that Bluesound needs to be implementing the latest version.

If this is the case, I’d like to point out that in our place, we have four different manufacturing Roon Partners (Bryston, BluOS, Trinnov, Lumin and soon be be Mark Levinson) ALL running four different RAAT versions.

Roon is a very small organization, eager to advance and improve. However, expecting larger manufacturers to instantly dedicate time and money every time Roon comes out with a new RAAT is quite naive.

Roon is a fantastic product (if it wasn’t, I wouldn’t be here and we wouldn’t be Roon dealers). But so is Bluesound any many of the other hardware Partners. The word “Partner” is key to understanding the situation. The two sides will frequently be at slight odds. So far, though, I think both sides are doing a good job at working together.

5 Likes

Paul you make some very good points and very interesting to hear that the other manufacturers run different versions of RAAT (i.e. not the latest version). I also agree with you on another point: We are counting on our sync issues being fixed once Bluesound implements the latest version of RAAT. As far as I understand though, this is a hypothesis and not a certainty. Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

When I was running a Naim Nova (Roon Ready) I had no sync issues between zones and I bet (don’t know for sure though) that the Naim did not have the latest version of RAAT. Does this mean the sync problem lies somewhere other than RAAT version? I don’t know but lets hope not.

My impression is that indeed there is a good partnership between Roon and Bluesound but this particular problem is perhaps very difficult to solve. I agree with you that it is unrealistic to expect that Bluesound will run to roll out a new RAAT. Even then we do not know for sure if this will fix our problem.

Roon users like myself (and probably a few others here) are facing a technical issue which means we can basically not use Roon and Bluesound as we intended to (multiroom audio in sync).
I have no idea if we are a representative sample of Bluesound customers or not but just like @dhusky I was ready to buy a Pulse 2 and another Node 2 before realising that I cannot sync zones via Roon. As I am not willing to give up Roon in favor of Bluesound, I am about to switch back to Sonos. I am sure that Bluesound will be fine regardless :slight_smile:

Best

Just to say, you can sync zones in the Bluesound app and they appear as one zone in Roon. This is a work around if you have the problem until the firmware update comes through.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up Chris, unfortunately this did not work for me. I can group via the Bluesound app as you recommend and I can then start playback via Roon. Works for a few minutes and then playback stops. Not sure why.

Thank you anyway for the tip.
Best

FWIW, we here had a Vault2 and a PowerNode working in perfect sync for over a year.

We sold off our Vault2 and then something changed, and now we cannot get our Node2 and PwerNode2 to sync with each other. I’ll have to check if someone tested this, but I have the feeling that we couldn’t sync across manufacturers either (meaning a Bryston with a Bluesound, for example).

As mentioned, manufacturers seem to be all playing catch-up to the fast-paced changes Roon has made over the past year. I suspect that when everyone is “on the same page” (RAAT version wise) it will be much easier to diagnose these issues.

1 Like

I’m starting to think the issue is with the node

Possibly. Hard to tell with sooo many moving pieces…

Everything on our end here is wired. I’m almost certain, however, that we swapped out the Node2 for a Bryston Pi, and that as well would not sync with the PowerNode2. But as mentioned above, that PowerNode2 synced just fine with a Vault2 for well over a year.

I’m going to set up a Pulse2 to see if it syncs with our Node2.

Above, I forgot to mention Oppo. That is running yet a 5th different RAAT version! As I already mentioned to one of the Roon guys: I might be a learning moment. Slow down.

Hi Paul - definitely interesting to hear things from a dealer’s perspective. That said, i think there are degrees here - I agree that expecting immediate updates to RAAT is unrealistic (though Lumin seem to manage this) but, where there are known problems, over a year between updates is also unrealistic. As @Yiannis_Kouropalatis has said, of course we don’t actually know what the cause of the issues even is - we’re just hoping the RAAT update fixes them. With help from @stevev1 I have pretty reliable syncing with a Flex/RPi - for me, too, the Node now seems to be the issue.

@Chrislayeruk - yup, thanks for that tip, I can confirm that workaround has worked for me previously, just doesn’t quite allow me to do what I want.

Bit of a test result here:
PowerNode2 <> Switch A <> Primary Switch <> Switch B <> Node2 = sync problems.
PowerNode2 <> Switch A <> Primary Switch <> Pulse2 = no sync problems.

Note, above test implies that either Node2 or Switch B could be at fault. However, in the past:
PowerNode2 <> Switch A <> Primary Switch <> Switch B <> Vault2 = no problems.

@support Just trying to provide as much data as possible.

Hi

Got a Node 2 a couple of days ago and hooked it up with my Dynaudio XD 200 speakers through the coax connection. It has now played more than 48 hours straight without a single dropout or ‘Roon lost connection with the device’…impressive :blush:
But as all of you with Bluesounds im also waiting for the Raat update…