Roon Bridge not working on BeagleBone Black

Hello all,

I have a Beaglebone Black on which I want to run RoonBridge. However it is not working:

00:00:00.039 Warn: get lock file path: /tmp/.rnbgem0-
00:00:01.437 Trace: [childprocess] using unix child process
Initializing
00:00:01.997 Info: ConnectOrStartAndWaitForExit RAATServer, path: /saDbase/local/bin/RoonBridge/Bridge/RAATServer
00:00:02.373 Info: Starting /saDbase/local/bin/RoonBridge/Bridge/RoonBridgeHelper
Not Running (.o)
00:00:00.198 Warn: get lock file path: /tmp/.rnbhgem0-
Running
00:00:16.625 Warn: exception starting raatserver: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): Connection refused
at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient…ctor (System.String hostname, System.Int32 port) [0x0006d] in <4e9ef3a58c61422a955a39996454b958>:0
at Sooloos.RAATServer.ConnectOrStartAndWaitForExit (System.String path, System.String args, System.Action`1[T] status, Base.ChildProcess& p) [0x00165] in <b708d17b5bf34394b8a413f43b329e70>:0 Not Running (.o) 00:00:19.029 Info: ConnectOrStartAndWaitForExit RAATServer, path: /saDbase/local/bin/RoonBridge/Bridge/RAATServer Running 00:00:25.068 Warn: exception starting raatserver: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): Connection refused at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient..ctor (System.String hostname, System.Int32 port) [0x0006d] in <4e9ef3a58c61422a955a39996454b958>:0 at Sooloos.RAATServer.ConnectOrStartAndWaitForExit (System.String path, System.String args, System.Action` 1[T] status, Base.ChildProcess& p) [0x00165] in :0
Not Running (.o)

I used to have RoonBridge running about 1.5 years ago without problems.

I have the feeling like this is due to some changes in internet security protocols and layers. I make my own kernels for my BBB and already tried some things, but without luck. I searched through the dependencies of RoonBridge, but those are some very basic OS things.

My kernel is 5.10 with OS Debian 10.

@Lars_Grootkarzijn, I moved your post to the Linux discussion category where other Linux users may be able to provide suggestions on enabling RoonBridge on your BeagleBone and Debian solution.

Something, a firewall for example, blocks the connection (server side)? Please check.

Other resources:

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?q=Beaglebone%20Black

https://www.google.com/search?&q=System.Net.Sockets.SocketException+(0x80004005)

Yes, I searched these through, but I think it is device related (BBB), and I think it is kernel related. Why would an old version of RoonBridge work (still now, I just tested an older release), but the new one not? The changelogs provided are not really helpfull either. I am wondering if there are people who are running roon bridge on an BBB.

Hi sorry, I do not entirely understand why this got moved to Linux from support. I am now paying for a product which does not work, so some help and contribution from Roon would be nice.

I moved it back to Support for you Lars.

This might be a possible reason for “Connection refused” too.

No details shared, so who knows. I never needed to setup and compile my own new kernel since the release of Linux 3.X. If it is the kernel, then it might be something very basic set wrong/turned off/whatever.
Note: I run a Roon Server here successfully on CentOS 7 that still comes with a 3.10 kernel and a NAS with 5.10 kernel.

Is your playback device a BBB?

No, these machines are x86. There is no Roon Server for ARM.

Yes I know, I thought you used Roon Bridge as well.

Roon Bridge is part of Roon Server. That is why you can use audio devices connected to your core also to play to.

Yes I know, but it thought you used a dedicated roon bridge as well.

Only running Roon Bridge (standalone) on a Windows machine here.

Note: It might as well be an issue with your distribution (libraries/software supplied) rather than the kernel.
Another BBB users with issues reported once he resolved it by switching to another distribution.
Debian has sometimes a very unique look at things, therefore omitting support for stuff users of other distributions can take for granted.

Yes, I read a lot of BBB messages, but none of them seem to have resolved the issue, or they did not state so. I have also tried a very basic busybox, did not work either. Although modules where thus not loaded in. I will try Alpine. It is weird it used to work, even now I can run an older version of Roon Bridge pre 1.8, but not 1.8. They for sure did change something, the changelog should mention major differences. However it seems like it does not.

Also: Roon says debian should be compatible.

They added encryption for all network connections (and forgot to mention it in the release notes).

Yes, that is what I discovered as well. I enabled TLS in kernel, but that does not seem to do the trick. So, what encryption is used.

Roon Labs never shared that information. Also not everyone who ran into this issue is using a BBB. I link to oldest related thread I know of for reference:

That is the same board as I am using. I have reversed engineerd a new kernel for that board (5.10). That board is a custom am335x, which is basically based on the BBB. I thought there might be more appael if I would say BBB as I can run any BBB kernel and visa versa. Might be a am335x problem. I am now able to configure the kernel, Maarten was not, we thought this could resolve the issue. I still think so, because I think it is very unlikely it is a hardware issue. The problem is it is hard to know the exact issue (probably encryption, but what). We just get a connection refused, not a message which states why exectly the connection is refused which you usually get in .NET.

See my third point in the linked post. As Roon Labs so far never came back with results from analyzing the log files they got, … no one is any wiser. A software change might be needed to get better error reporting but it seems Roon Labs never implemented that.

PS:

On a side note: Users of Ubuntu 18.04 could no longer use Roon (on Wine) for a very long time after that change too, while users using more modern Ubuntu or other distributions had no issue. This got corrected some time ago when Roon Labs updated some old legacy code in their software. It was never clear to me if those same (or similar) changes were also included in Roon Bridge. Looks like probably not – or the two issues aren’t based on the same reason and just a coincidence. In lack of Roon Labs support in resolving either of them so far, we might never know.

Yes, In the case of this board they said it was the kernel which was too old and the OS. I managed to fix everything up, and am now just testing software. All works fine (Squeezelite, Tidal connect, Spotify connect, Airplay endpoint) except Roon Bridge. Certificates is unlikely since I use Debian 11.