Roon Bridge not working on BeagleBone Black

Aren’t the certificates already encrypted (or cryptographically signed)? If your system lacks the cryptographic algorithm needed, how would your system be able to verify and use the certificate?

What I could make up in short time:

Issue between system libraries and .NET.

Issue of missing ciphers.

https://lists.openldap.org/hyperkitty/list/openldap-technical@openldap.org/thread/GDWYWXZDWSIYMXDZI6SRARO6EHAYHDEG

You may want to try and investigate in that direction but honestly I think you need a lot of luck to stumble upon the missing piece. It could probably be much easier to search for a solution if Roon Labs’s software could provide a meaningful error message about the actual issue instead of a generic one from several levels above the failure.

Thank you for the pointers and brainstorming will look further into this. I did just receive a message that the Roon Bridge in HifiBerry OS does seem to work on BBB which is noteworthy. Might try this.

I have now used the RAAT SDK which is used for Roon Ready devices, just for test purposes, not to end up using. Which works like a charm. Seems clear this issue is in Roon Bridge. I am now even wondering how Roon Bridge is tested, or if it even gets tested.

As I wrote, I run it on Windows without issue and I’m pretty sure many users also run it on x86 Linux without issue. It is also known to work on RPis. That a user/tester also has a BBB (or other platform) specifically that produces an issue though is rather unlikely. Also that Roon Labs didn’t really took the time so far to look into this speaks for it self I guess.

Yes, however BBB is armv7. RPI is armv8. In my opinion they should come up with a solution, the roon ready RAATServer works, but Bridge not.

I am still convinced it can be solved within kernel. Otherwise, hope for the best with a 1.9 release.

I just looked into it a bit further the last message RAATServer returns according to the log:

11/17 17:54:26 Debug: [easyhttp] [1] POST to https://bits.roonlabs.net/1/q/roon.base.,roon.internet_discovery. returned after 6768 ms, status code: 200

When I enter this to get the JSON on the web:

{"roon.base.machine_id_blacklist":{"blacklist":[{"machine_id":"afa8b371-1d6e-e13e-69ff-16895e83526a","reason":"Touchbar:AC-DE-48-00-11-22"},{"machine_id":"4997afdc-9efa-92d5-bfdd-2426858873f2","reason":"Cisco VPN SSL:00-05-9A-3C-78-00"},{"machine_id":"c2845621 -28b2-68ed-39c4-cfc58ea1a939","reason":"Cisco VPN IPSEC:00-05-9A-3C-7A-00"},{"machine_id":"4d4b8709-f1e1-e7bc-2618-84369959e32c","reason":"Palo Alto Networks GlobalProtect Virtual Ethernet Adapter:02-50-41-00-00-01"},{"machine_id":"70c186ad-d200-ebb7-8fd8-2e4671593c1f","reason":"CMOS failure:88-88-88-88-87-88"},{"machine_id":"d50b0b88-1484-18b0-79a2-d735c9a1de44","reason":"Fortinet VPN:00-09-0F-FE-00-01"},{"machine_id":"9cdd21f0-17e5-f63e-1bbd-14a4 24ed13a9","reason":"Fortinet VPN SSL:00-09-0F-AA-00-01"},{"machine_id":"8f716840-e19f-aa74-a237-60031719a6e2","reason":"Checkpoint VPN:54-AE-D3-F5-86-0F"},{"machine_id":"e7f6b22b-c3b1-999c-7a97-53f143d33178","reason":"mu:54-B2 -03-12-19-CE"},{"machine_id":"a64758ff-51ec-6d1b-8361-e31c056d030e","reason":"12345:00-01-02-03-04-05"},{"machine_id":"c96b75bc-c2dc-57ee-91ac-23c61ce1206a","reason":"virtualbox"}]},"roon.internet_discovery.enabled":true}

Could it be that my Device is getting denied because it might think it has one of these circumstances? Would be helpful if support could respond.?

I have now managed to fix this issue. The issue is with mono/mono-sgen which is delivered in the RoonBridge package. You can fix it by doing the following: 1 Either build a mono/mono-sgen from source, or 2 install it with a package manager from whatever unix you are on.

Now:

In my case the mono-sgen is installed in /usr/bin/mono-sgen. You change the /usr/bin/mono-sgen with your location.

In /RoonBridge/Bridge/RAATServer you do the following:

cd "$ROOTPATH/Bridge"
if [ -x /bin/bash ]; then
    exec /bin/bash -c "exec -a RAATServer /usr/bin/mono-sgen --debug --gc=sgen --server RAATServer.exe $@"
else
    exec  /usr/bin/mono-sgen --debug --gc=sgen --server RAATServer.exe "$@"
fi

Secondly please, please, please someone from Roon Support team tell this your Dev team, because it is a really easy fix which only takes 5 minutes.

It now works even better than before. On the 1.7 version of Roon it would first try to connect 4 times and give this error before being able to connect to the core. Now it does not give any error and connects immediatly.

2 Likes

Are you able to call in any support collaborator, and look at the above message? I have a fix.

I will request @support look into this. I am a fellow user but this should alert them.

Ok, thank you, I am not an advanced user of this forum and saw you were a moderator.

1 Like

For whoever needs it: GitHub - LarsGrootkarzijn/RoonBridge-BeagleBone. I am not certain if I am allowed to distribute like this. let me know if it is not allowed, then I will put it on private.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @Lars_Grootkarzijn ,

Thanks for the report here. I’ve re-opened this issue so that we can look into this further.

I brought up your findings with our dev team, but we would need to see the Beaglebone RoonBridge logs from when the issue occurred, do you by any chance have the logs from that occurrence? If so, can you please upload the full RoonBridge log set here and let us know once uploaded?

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

I’m checking with the team regarding this aspect and will revert to you once I know for sure. Thank you.

2 Likes

I provided a ZIP. I added a README with what I did.

I’m having a similar issue. Did you try HifiberryOS? I can’t seem to find an image for BBB.

The following one will work if you are on BBB: GitHub - LarsGrootkarzijn/RoonBridge-BeagleBone

So:

wget https://github.com/LarsGrootkarzijn/RoonBridge-BeagleBone/archive/refs/heads/master.zip

unzip master.zip

rm master.zip

cd RoonBridge-BeagleBone-master

./start.sh

It might give the connection error once before connecting to your core. Also: you are technically not allowed to use the HifiberryOS version, as it is not distributed like that.

1 Like

Got it. I misunderstood and thought you had installed hifiberryOS on BBB. This makes much more sense. Thank you.

You are welcome!

Hi @Lars_Grootkarzijn ,

I have spoken to the team about the legality of the RoonBridge you have uploaded and unfortunately, we have to ask that you make the repro private, as it does violate the Roon Terms & Conditions.

Instead, can we kindly ask that you provide instructions on the steps you took to generate the mono/mono-sgen build that resolves this issue?

I am also curious to know if this would also fix similar reports and I see that you have also commented on the related thread, so it would be good to check if your instructions fix these reports as well:

Thank you!