Roon Bridge on bare RPi 2B feeding asynchronous USB-DAC -> feasible or not?

@allo.com - I understand I must be a pain in the neck, but…
what’s the status of the USB filtering HAT? :wink:

Its done. We are doing the last tests and will start mass production this week probably…

2 Likes

Awesome to hear that!
Does that mean it’s time for us to start harassing you about a aluminium/metallic case for the Sparky+USB Hat? :wink: :smiley:

Already in the pipeline…thats where we are concentrating.

1 Like

hi
i have the same pioneer av receiver as you and will buying a lifetime roon very soon,does roon see the asynchronous dac of the pioneer are there any issues,i would like to try dsd64.
i would be conecting my pc roon server direct to the pioneer dac via usb and when i have more funds bring the sotm sms 200 into the chain.
any advice for my first attempt with roon.
regards
gary

Yep should be fine. I had an LX-88 a few years ago, with it’s USB DAC input. They’ve since dropped that feature with their current flagship!

If it’s a Windows PC you just need to check if there are Pioneer USB Audio drivers to install.

If your Windows PC can play to your Pioneer (without Roon) then Roon will play.

But to remove any doubt/guessing, you can try it on your Roon trial?

Cheers!

hi thank you for your reply,at the moment im playing music from my regular pc which i added the pioneer driver and plays fine i just wasnt sure if roon would see the pioneer dac.
regards
gary

Fantastic. If Windows plays to your LX-87, you’ll be fine with Roon too.
You can select the Pioneer ASIO driver in Roon or if that’s not available, select WASAPI.

thank you for the tips i didnt realise you had to select asio or wasapi in roon to play.
how would i upsample to dsd64[is this the pioneer highest dsd?

If you choose DSD playback options as DSD over PCM (DoP) and then go to Roon’s DSP settings page and go to ‘sample rate conversion’ you should be able to select DSD64

Choose ASIO in the first instance and failing that, then WASAPI should also be an option.

Give it a crack

1 Like

@gary - I am sorry I cannot give you advice for your pc setup because I have apple devices over here. At the moment I am feeding the pio USB DAC with a macbook pro and/or a mini mac running Roon Server or Roon Bridge on macOS. Both setups are running flawlessly with any audio formats up to PCM 192/24 or DSD 64.

In my opinion the Pio USB DAC input produces an audiophile listening experience with this setup but I have no listening experience with the similar pc setup because of its potential driver deficiencies.

As an alternative I am still running LMS which incorporates an DLNA/UPNP server for audio. So, I am able to feed DSD-files over TCP/IP into the Pio by its mediaserver input.

There is no audible difference between both methods even with the most delicate material and listening through audiophile level headphones.

Just for the sake of completeness: there is a difference in the stereo image / soundstage between the pure DSD feeds and the roon DSD->PCM conversion fed to the Pio over a Squeezebox Duet connected through digital coax interface which I cannot describe by details - but it’s definitely there.

Because I am very satisfied with the Pio and it’s USB DAC input I decided to give the RPi a try as a high quality USB Roon Bridge. Let’s wait and see how Allo’s latest development will perform.

hi thank you for your reply,ive come from a squeezebox classic 3 and my music was stored on a mediasmart server,then a hp n40l with 2011server and third party pooling which was droped after the mediasmart.
im after jumping up a level using the pioneer async dac to see how i like it with roon then maybe in the future the sotm sms 200 or better dac than the pioneers but this is all new to me not sure which upgrades i should use in the future.
regards
gary

@allo.com - me again - are there some production samples of the USB Sparky HAT available for testing? Hint hint…