Roon Bridge on Mac OsX

@Eric ----- Found a bit of time to put this together. Looking forward to your analysis.

Hi @TonyV ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback! Both are very appreciated!

I will be touching base with you via PM momentarily for continued troubleshooting and data gathering.

-Eric

@eric Hello, I replied to your PM and followed your instructions with no change in status. Re-installation, deleting directories and enabling flow control on the switch made no difference at all. So I decided to take the switch out of the equation and used an unmanaged switch with the same results … problem persists. Any more suggestions?

Hey @TonyV – all signs here point to something related to the networking setup on the 2015 Macbook Pro. It’s hard to say whether it’s related to Little Snitch or the VPN software (or something else) but we have seen problems with both.

Can you post (or PM to Eric) some screenshots of what you’re seeing in System Preferences > Network? A screenshot of the advanced settings would help too.

I’m going to look into possible reasons why the software running on the two machines can discover each other (as evidenced by Settings > About), but why the zone itself isn’t being discovered, but I would focus on the network setup of the 2015 MBP – something is happening with that loopback IP address and I’m almost positive that’s the reason here. The screenshots should tell us a bit more.

@mike @Eric Here are the requested screen shots. Other tabs in advanced have no relevant config in them.

!

NetworkAvancedWiFi|672x500

Earlier during the troubleshooting process I did disable Little Snitch, the Firewalls and VPN without a positive outcome.

Thanks for your continuing support on this, I am now evermore curious about the cause.

Hey Tony,

We’re still discussing what could possibly cause the behavior you’re seeing.

In your logs, we can see that the Core is trying to communicate with the machine running Roon Bridge, but for some reason it’s trying to communicate with a device at the wrong IP address – it looks like your Core thinks the Roon Bridge device is at 127.0.0.1 instead of the correct address.

I know Eric had you remove a few folders from the Library folder on the 2015 machine, in order to start fresh – can you confirm the RAATServer folder was completely removed, along with the Roon Bridge folder and the Roon folder?

We’re going to do some additional testing in house to see if we can reproduce anything like what you’re seeing, but you may want to try completely deleting those 3 folders again – I would be surprised if this issue persisted after that, but I just wanted to check in here and mention that we are still looking into this one.

Also, if you did anything to copy setups between the two Macs – restoring a backup, copying a folder or database, etc – please let us know.

We appreciate your patience @TonyV! We’ll be in touch.

@Eric @mike I retraced my steps and for the second time just to make certain completed these steps.

1. Remove Roon Bridge and folders from the 2015 macbook this time I used Appcleaner to demonstrate what is taking place as shown in the screen print below.

1. Remove Roon Server/Remote from the 2015 macbook using Appcleaner.

1. Reboot 2015 Macbook

2. Turn off OsX firewall on the 2011 macbook RoonCore machine

3. Turn off OsX firewall on the 2015 macbook bridge machine

4. Turn off VPN on the 2015 macbook bridge machine

5. Turn off Little Snitch Network monitor on the 2015 macbook bridge machine

6. Verify that the Netgear switch has flow control enable on relevant ports.

7. Re-install Roon Bridge on 2015 macbook bridge machine and start the bridge and verify it is running.

8. Attach Mojo to 2015 machine and verify O/S level connectivity.

9. Connect with iPhone remote and check the “About” section in Roon

1. Check to see if 2015 Bridge shows up in networked devices.

No change in behavior.

@Mike @Eric No this did not happen at any time.

Hi @TonyV ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the screenshots to demonstrate the uninstall process you are using to remove Roon/RoonBridge from the 2015 MacBook. The insight is appreciated!

Moving forward, I am curious. I know the screenshots you have provided indicate the “Roon items” being removed from the “library” directory but want to be certain that they were actually removed by AppCleaner. When you performed this exercise, did you confirm that the “library” directory was completely emptied of any “Roon items” (i.e Folder= “Roon”, “RAATServer”, and “RoonBridge”), before re-installing? When I sent you the PM with the uninstall directions did you use AppCleaner to perform the uninstall?

Furthermore can you please provide us screenshots of “audio plugins” folder on the MacBook where RoonBridge is installed (/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins), and if possible can you please (temporarily of course) try removing the switch from the chain of communication and confirm how things hold up.

Lastly, I want to first thank you for sticking with us through this troubleshooting process. I know this can, at times prove to be tedious and above all, frustrating. So thank you! I have escalated this issue, and have setup a meeting with one of our senior developers to discuss this behavior in greater detail at the end of this week.

-Eric

@Eric

Yes, I verified that the relevant folders were removed. The first time I removed all the Roon components it was done manually.

All three folders in the Plug-in directory are empty and must be leftovers from previous software installations I no longer use.

The switch was removed from the configuration earlier in the troubleshooting process with no change in results. The 2015 machine network device DOES NOT appear in Roon.

Hi @TonyV ----- Thank you for the follow up and verifying that information for me and providing the requested feedback.

Moving forward, I would like to have run another test to see if we can trigger a change in behavior here. Please see below.

• Before proceeding, please create ad backup of your database on the 2011 MacBook Pro.

• After the backup has been made, I would like you to please close all active “Roon elements” (RoonServer, Remotes, Roon Bridge, etc).

• I would like you to please set the 2015 MacBook Pro as your “core” and the 2011 MacBook Pro as your bridge.

• Mount the Mojo to the “new bridge” computer and see if it can be discovered by the “new core”.

-Eric

@Eric is there a KB article that explains the best practices for switching a core from one machine to another? Don’t want to create any new problems as the rest of my configuration works perfectly.

@TonyV

Knowledge Base: Migrating

Since the main system is working fine I decided I do not want to risk altering anything on my Roon Core server. I will see if I can find another Mac to use for this test. Until then you can consider this pending/unresolved.

Hi @TonyV ----- I wanted to touch base see if you are still experiencing this behavior with your RoonBridge computer after the most recent update.

If you are, I would like to engage diagnostics on your machine, so we can have a closer look into this behavior with your system is on the latest build.

-Eric

@Eric Thanks for the follow up Eric. I’ve yet to install the update but will do that soon and let you know the outcome.

1 Like

@Eric I installed the latest updates and unfortunately the status is unchanged. Screen prints:

Hi @TonyV ----- Thank you for the provided update after this most recent build release. I am sorry to hear that this behavior with your RoonBridge has continued.

Moving forward, I just enabled some extra diagnostics on your account. If you start Roon again, it should submit a report to our servers with logs so we can have a closer look into what is going with the new build, in relation to your “RoonBridge” computer.

-Eric

@eric Eric, my system is on an automatic power on/off schedule. It’s running now. Very curious to learn what you discover with your new logging system.

Thanks for the heads up @TonyV! Confirming that the report has made it to our servers and is awaiting evaluation by a member of our tech staff.

-Eric