Roon Bridge on PiCorePlayer

@Aldos_Zx Cool! And thanks for pointing out the -C option, your’e quite right, I forgot to mention that.
@Magnus I agree, it works fine. I just think that more choice is a good thing. Just goes to show, some like the mother, some like the daughter :slight_smile:
Again, I’m just happy if someone finds it useful.

Hi.

I am a newbie as far as Raspberry Pi is concerned and would like some help.

I run Roon Roon Rock on a fanless Nuc. All assembled by me.

I went in for a Raspberry Pi3B+ with the original 7” touch screen display and downloaded the Pi Core Player.

I only want to display “What is playing” on my Pi and the PiCorePlayer player also gives the wonderful option of the VU meters.

I can’t seem to configure the Pi Core player to display what’s playing on my main system.

I have installed Jivelite, I have enabled squeezebox support in Roon.

I see the Raspberry Pi in Roon but nothing else

Am is missing something? Do I need to install Roon bridge on the Pi? If so how can I do it

Thanks a lot for your help

Hi Esben

I am trying out your script to load Roon bridge on Pi core player.
I My purpose of trying bthis is to use my pi with Raspberry Pi original 7" touch display basically only as a Roon display to show what is playing on my main system and use the wonderful VU meters etc that Jivelite offers.

I intend to use it by grouping with the main system as both will use RAAT.

I find that if I load the roonbridge server using your command, the pi core player does not complete the boot up process and stops at the ssh prompt tc@picoreplayer and does not proceed
Is this normal? am I missing something?

Hi @Esben_Foverskov

I have installed PCP 4.1 and installed Jivelite on my Pi 3B +. I do not have a DAC HAT. But use Audioquest Dragon fly red connected to the USB port of the Pi.

Installing Roon Bridge was a breeze on this version of PCP. I had first started with PCP ver 5.0 but when I installed Roon Bridge using your links from Github, the installation would not complete. I downgraded down to PCP ver 3.2 and upwards. Each version had its own set of issues. - mainly relating to incomplete installations of Roon Bridge, or if Roon Bridge does get installed, it was not possible too use the “Adjust display settings” in Pi core player. I would get a message flash across the screen to say " Pi Core player is running - Do you want to proceed" but no where any button / command to cancel this.

Now the version in use is PCP 4.1. all adjustments are possible, The Roon Bridge is enabled. I can stream music to the attached USB DAC - Audioquest.

However the display just does not show “What is currently Playing” and shows something which was in the cache when I was trying out various combinations. It does not change with what is actually being played.

The whole purpose was to have the Pi as a Roon Display only and choose Pi Core player due to the better display features… It runs perfectly on Ropieee. I would like to use the PCP as display options are more.

I use the original Raspberry Pi 7" touch screen display.

Any leads please to sort this?

Thanks
Suresh

Hey there,

Will this work PCP 6.0?

Thanks,

Hello @Esben_Foverskov
I am trying to run the script provided.
I get the error

Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (151.101.76.133:443)

•                100% |********************************|   709  0:00:00 ETA

sh: .: line 4: can’t open ‘/home/tc/www/cgi-bin/pcp-functions’: No such file or directory

Is the file removed?

I am running PCP ver 6.0

Thanks

Hi,

That is pretty cool, I think it would be the best roon end point ever.
However, when I run the script now, with the latest version of Picoreplayer. It gives and error that pcp-functions directory is not found. Is it possible to update the script ?

Hi, i use picoreplayer 6.1 on my Usbridge Sig because it’s, to my ears, the best sounding roon endpoint.
unfortunately the script neither works for me, i have the same error :
sh: .: line 4: can’t open ‘/home/tc/www/cgi-bin/pcp-functions’: No such file or directory
Can anyone help ?
i would like to know if roonbridge is better than squeezebox emulation.
Thanks in advance.

You can try this fork: https://github.com/sam0402/picoreplayer-roonbridge
It seems to be updated for latest piCorePlayer.

Thanks a lot, it works. :grinning: :grinning:

@Suresh_Kamath - Others can correct me if I’m wrong on this but my experience using PiCorePlayer is that the display software is Jivelite and the intent is to mimic Squeezebox Touch look and feel. So the combination is PiCoreplayer, Squeezelite, and Jivelite along with the display on the Raspi. You’ll need to enable Roon Squeezebox emulation in setting on your Roon Core machine and then you can use the display as a Squeezebox device. Jivelite doesn’t interact with Roonbridge so no display content comes to it over Roonbridge.

If you want to use Roon Bridge along with the display then you might be better served by using Ropieee XL on the Raspi endpoint. Ropieee XL includes software to use the display. It shows what’s playing and has basic controls like next track, play, pause, and volume. There’s an extension that installs on Roon so the artwork for what’s playing can display.

I’ve played around with both PiCorePlayer and Ropieee XL. Both are really good. The display is richer with PiCorePlayer but your streaming rates will be limited to 196 kHz max due to the Squeezelite interface. For me that’s fine because I don’t hear a difference between music at 196 and music at higher bit rates. PiCorePlayer has SOX upsampling you can play with or you can do the upsampling and room EQ stuff in Roon.

Ropieee is neat because it’s such a simple display and simple package. Not as fancy as PiCorePlayer+Squeezelite+Jivelite but a bit more simple.

-Doug

@Douglas_Gardner
Many thanks for your inputs. I only needed the Raspberry Pi to Display what’s playing on my main system as the display on the SimAudio Moon 390 is quite small. I have been able to configure it with Ropieee. The Jivelite display of PiCore player is much better. However for my needs I realised that the Squeezebox system of PiCore player cannot be grouped with the SimAudio zone which is required to be enabled to just display what’s playing on the Moon 390.
I do miss the VU meters but at least I do have a display with Ropieee.
Thanks

Curious if you needed to connect a DAC to the raspi in order for Ropieee to display what’s playing. I want to do something similar on my main system but don’t want to connect my USB DAC to the raspi.

I don’t think ropieee shows up in roon unless it has a DAC connected.

I’m not 100 percent certain, because I haven’t tried it, but I’m pretty sure you can point a RPi with screen running RoPieee at any zone to display what is playing on that zone without having a DAC attached to the RPi. I think plenty of people use the RPi for this purpose.

YEP, I just tested it. That works. Go into the RoPieee or RoPieeeXL setup and type in PRECISELY the zone name and save.

1 Like

That’s not required. The display is separate functionality from the audio.
You can use a Pi with display for just that purpose: add a screen to an already existing endpoint/zone.

2 Likes

Yes indeed. A DAC is not required to be connected to the Pi. The zone name has to be exact and it will display what is playing in that zone.
It will be wonderful if we also have an option to just show what’s playing and not have any player controls showing so that the full screen just shows the Artwork and song Title.

1 Like

You can try this fork: https://github.com/sam0402/picoreplayer-roonbridge
It seems to be updated for latest piCorePlayer.

Not working on picoreplay7.0 anymore. Hope someone can fix this. Appreciated!

1 Like

It works for me.
Try to reflash the sd card.

1 Like

It worked after reflashing the card!
Thanks fortelling!