Roon Bridge on Windows 10 crashes on start up

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Core: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS, Dell Optiplex Core2 Duo E8400, Roon 1.7 (build 667) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Broadband: Virgin Hub 3.0 in modem mode, connected to WAN port on…
WiFi: Tenda MW3 mesh, connected to…
BT Extender Plus Flex (Powerline)
Core and CXN v2 connected over ethernet to powerline adaptors

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Cambridge Audio CXN v2 connected over ethernet to powerline adapter
iPhone and iPad connected over WiFi to Tenda mesh
Windows 10 Bridge, Roon v1.7 (build 667) stable on Dell Latitude Core i7-7600/16GB running Windows 10 Enterprise v2004 build 19041.388, connected over ethernet to Tenda mesh

Description Of Issue
My set-up of Core server + CXN v2 + iPhone/iPad is working perfectly. I’m trying to add a laptop connected via 3.5mm audio jack to amp+speakers running Roon Bridge but it is crashing consistently at start-up. I see the musical quote splash screen then nothing else. Windows event logs report the following errors:

Application: Roon.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
 at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
 at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
 at System.Windows.Forms.Form.DefWndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
 at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
 at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
 at Broo.Engine.GlWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
 at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
 at WinUtils.WindowHelper.CallWindowProc(IntPtr, IntPtr, Int32, Int32, Int32)
 at WinUtils.WindowHelper+<>c.<_HookWindow>b__18_0(IntPtr, Int32, Int32, Int32)

and

Fault bucket 2164146132324372352, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Roon.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 5f8d8675
P4: uxtheme.dll
P5: 10.0.19041.1
P6: 0dd89d50
P7: c0000005
P8: 000000000000e77b
P9: 
P10:

Hi @Calum_Loudon,

Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

Sorry, forgot to do that: link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyhvvsodaxx7ce0/RoonLogs.zip?dl=0

Hi @Calum_Loudon,

Just to confirm, Roon Bridge is installed and not the version of Roon with UI, correct? It looks like it’s trying to call UI components here which are not a part of Roon Bridge.

Well, that’s odd/embarrassing. I was 99% sure I had installed the bridge not the server (and done so a couple of times), but just uninstalled everything and reinstalled from this link and no longer see it crashing: there’s no splash screen and the RoonBridge exe keeps running. The core isn’t reporting any new audio devices, mind, but that’s a different problem I can investigate - please feel free to close this one.

2 Likes