Hi @john , @noris ,
The driver and firmware versions do match the ones you mention.
So this weekend I tried out quite a bit:
- the NUC OS went from Windows 2012 R2 Server to Windows 2019 Server Standard (new install from scratch). No success, same behavior, even more reproducable.
- Shutdown Roon Core docker installation and ran it on another Windows PC instead. No success.
- Installed Roon Core on the NUC where the DAC is attached to (trying @noris suggestion). No success.
- Used a MacBook Air 2009 (Yosemite) with Roon installed as end point only (Core still running on the NUC). Different behavior (probably as it’s supposed to be). Switching inputs on the DAC now caused the entire end point to disappear immediately in Roon (this is for me the not-so-good part*). However, as soon I switched back to USB input, the endpoint re-appeared and could immediately be used to play music. Wonderful.
- Went back to my Roon Core running in the Docker and to the Windows 2019 Server NUC as end point. There I tried alternative methods to revive the “orphaned” DAC-RoonBridge relationship after a switch-back to USB.
- So far I simply restarted the RoonBridge.exe which was quick and worked.
- I tried to use “devcon.exe” to revive (restart) the USB-driver hub(s) and the Holo-Audio Driver in various combinations, without success.
- therefore I went back to the “old” way of restarting RoonBridge.exe with parameters matching the behaviour of FidelizerPro (currently core-1 only, RealTime priority)
Summarizing, I think it may be related to the specific Gen-4-NUC D54250WYK hardware, specifically USB and its relation to Holo’s Thesycon driver. Maybe one day I’ll try to install ROCK on it and try again, perhaps Linux’ different driver handling is beneficial here. On the other hand it could be easier to give in to the cravings of my friendly hardware sales guy and invest some money in a USB-I2S converter… Not decided yet (maybe I2S really sounds better, somehow. Not tested myself yet, so still sceptical.)
Thanks again, I’d be glad to have further suggestions
*) I’m using the “Deep Harmony” extension to assign Harmony Activities to Roon audio zones. Using the app to transfer a playlist from a different zone to the Holo-USB will fail of course, if the zone is currently not visible in Roon.