Roon Build 882 comments

A corrupted database cannot be repaired (Roon or not, no one database can be repaired if there are corrupts datas, index, etc etc).

It is corrupted because data and or links have disappeared in database (disk problem, file access problem, network problem, hardware corruption).

The only problem I agree with you on is that Roon should warn during the backup (creation of backups) that the DB is corrupt, instead of making it look like the backup is ok.

IMHO, it’s an hardware problem, not a Roon problem.

I am a customer like you, and I am a developer in life, not a person working at Roon.

1 Like

My apologies for assuming you were a Roon man given your reply.
If a database is so corrupted it cannot now load, how did it continue to work up until the 880 update? I had occasion to restore one of my backups about a month ago and there were no problems with it.
I have done a clean install of my library on new instances of the core and remotes and taken a backup of it. I then tried to restore from that backup and I got a blank homepage that said I had no albums. The Roon_Server folder was new and empty at the start of this process but now it has 6427 files in it so it looks like the backup is in there. This looks more like a problem of the Roon remotes not fully communicating with the Core files.

1 Like

It continues to work because there is no global verification mechanism (which is only done during a version upgrade).

Somewhere in your database there is corrupted data, which would cause a crash if you came across it.

It is possible that your backups are also corrupted (if the database was already corrupted during the backup)

From what I’ve read here in the last two days it would suggest there were a great many corrupted databases amongst Roon users which if nothing else suggests a shaky database format to begin with.
I’m sorry though, I just don’t buy into this corrupted database story. From my experience just noted above, there’s something else going on. If that were not the case, a new, clean backup made with the new software ought to load but it doesn’t.

3 Likes

Or possibly bugs in the underlying database software? The Wikipedia article on LevelDB writes about a history of data corruption bugs. Assuming this is true, why place the blame for Roon database corruption so squarely on users’ hardware?

1 Like

Yes, roon, like any other software can corrupt database if crash ou Savage power off.

There are many people because upgrade trigger global database check

Some of them have corrupted database without knowing since many days / months

Maybe, but what about this? If 880’s not to blame how do you account for this?

It works for me and many people.

I juste create a empty database to test, is ok.

So ?

Dit you clean all the roon folder ? (Uninstall or recreate is n’ont enough)

Windows or linux ?

I’m on QNAP QTS which is a version of Linux. I uninstalled the Roon core and deleted all the Roon folders and restarted the NAS. I then reinstalled a new instance of the core.

1 Like

Clearly no one here wants to see this awesome product fall short but the 880 build is a real train wreck.
Did the build go through proper testing? New user here… can one of you vets tell me, is this normal?

1 Like

There have been occasional issues, but in my five years of Roon experience, nothing that even approaches this level of catastrophe.

2 Likes

Lifetime member with 2 years going into 3. Seems like the update keep screwing things up a little worse each time.

And I suppose it depends on any if updates affected you on a negative level.

Seems like we are just the testers of the software updates.

I know that if my primary way of music listening was through roon, I would feel super annoyed that it’s holiday season and I can’t use it now.

Don’t look for empathy here. I was saying for years that Roon is too intense and that is why I and many have problems with Tidal an roon. Surprise, one of the updates is to make roon less network intensive.

I would get my money back for lifetime if that was an option. As I use recommended equipment, follow recommended practices, (all hardwire) and troubleshoot like a part time job, I have not received a stable experience in exchange for my money.

Roon is great if you have a stable experience. But if you have problems don’t look for empathy here.

2 Likes

I have tried everything to get Roon to work, spent hours on this, hacking away as an amature. Changed folder to “old,” reloaded Roon, received “there was a problem loading the database” error message, etc. However I cannot even log into my account. Well, I am logging in as I receive the email, “Did you just log into your account?” But my screen just rolls back to the same blank sign in page. When I try finding my Core on this PC when attempting to start the Roon app, it also just keeps looping to "Start your subscription… Are these all the same problem with the latest 880 update? Thank you.

1 Like

Completely agree!

Exactly! Me too!

I try to rebuild a new database with build 880
and it fail after a reboot
what meaning about this ?

Build 882 is current.

882 seems to be working great. Thank you for getting the fix out so quickly!

2 Likes

Given the, admittedly incomplete success had with Build 882, it would appear that assertion is not entirely true. In my case at least, the hardware had nothing to do with it. This WAS a Roon problem.

2 Likes