Roon? Can Roon be installed on RPi based hardware?

So the S2 DAC defaults to USB power - but if a valid 5V is detected on the mini USB “power” connector, the DAC automatically uses the 5V source (then the USB input is only used for signaling).

The confusion in the manual is that is better to use the DAC “self powered” via USB then use with the supplied POS switching PSU that should only be used to power the DAC when the SPDIF inputs are used without power from the PC USB connection.

If you have a Decent linear PSU then its your best option - there is a significant jump in SQ when using a decent linear supply. The MiniStreamer can provide a clean supply to the S2 DAC.

All S2 are being built to my original spec - a few early internal engineering units built by the sub contractor used sub par Caps. before they received the correct Lelon organic Caps - these units where not shipped to customers but used for Photoshoots and internal testing etc.

Good luck seeing any units state side - from what I understand ProJect cannot meet demand here in Europe - so I guess forget thinking about supplying to the US at the moment… Maybe a few units will make there way over but you can understand there local markets are easier to serve in such situations.

1 Like

Roons biggest weakness as far as I see is that its a “system” in that you need a local central server etc.

For many people they just want a standalone streamer that can connect to the internet without any local infrastructure - hence a degree of "duplication’ is required to service both requirements.

1 Like

@brian - We talked about this. You were right. I should have known.:pensive:

John,

Running RoonBridge under Volumio works (just tested it using RPi V2 and IQAudio HAT) so that might be one way forward to setting up your board as a Roon endpoint.

Have sent you a PM with further thoughts …

Harry - have you written drivers for RPi HAT boards?

Steve N.

Mike,

Sorry for the long delay - I think the easiet option is just to run Roon from Volumio and Tim from MoOde is looking into adding the Roon Api.

Without a local UI Roon is not what I’m looking for the Projects I’m currently working on, my OEM customers require a UI.

His intention is to integrate it into Moode as Roon Bridge, so you will still need some Roon Core (adequate NAS, PC) running as addition to your “streaming box”.

Sorry, I missed your question.

But the answer is no. Building a kernel is something different than actually writing drivers for it :wink:

Harry ten Berge,

I’m about to ship a few units for Beta testing, I have a Beta tester who requests Roon Bridge, how do we go about trying your software on our CM3 based hardware?

You appear to have great solution and I’d like to recommend your software - obviously we will insure a donation…