Roon Core Machine

Sonic Transport i7 running OS 2.9 Linux Ubuntu 8g Ram

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Linksys Router Hard wired to server

Connected Audio Devices

Signature Rendu SE Ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon configuration page shows all available device options to connect to. PC1/PC2 and the SGC Sonic Transporter which is where my core is located. When I select this option, roon will not connect to the SGC server core. There is a green dot underneath that says, Update Required instead of ready. Sonic Transporter is running the latest OS2.9 Ubuntu. Am I doing something wrong here? Thanks

Hi @Thomas_Pinckard1 ,

Is this behavior occurring just from one Roon Remote or from multiple remotes? Based on your post, it sounds like your SonicTransporter has updated but your Roon Remote does not. I would suggest trying to manually download the latest Roon app from our downloads page and installing on top of the previous Windows/Mac install to update to the latest version.

https://roon.app/en/downloads

Noris

The issue I am having is ever since the latest production build 1353 roon is failing to connect to the server/core. If I restart my sT I have to completely uninstall and reinstall the program again and then completely start from scratch, through the roon setup steps. I read that others are having the same issue. Is there a fix for this in the works? 1311 worked perfectly.

Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello @Thomas_Pinckard1 ,

Apologies for the delayed response here, I was doing a review of cases from last year and I noticed we missed your post here. Are you still having this issue even on the latest Roon version or has there been an improvement?

Hi, Noris
Its kind of hard to give a clear answer. Right now build 1357 is running normally, however the issue I am having is when I install an update/new build on the sonicTransport it seems to have problems finding the server/core. So I have to uninstall and reinstall the roon server on my sT and then go through the entire set-up once again which means I loose all data/favorites Ect and have to restore a backup. This happens 2 or 3 times until all is stable and running normally. I sent the unit to Andrew for an 2.9 os update. I was a bata tester, but now I am production. Any idea why I am loosing connection to finding the core/server? Just wondering if it is something on my end. Checked network and control point and all is well there. Thanks for getting back to me on this!
Cheers,

Hi @Thomas_Pinckard1 ,

Can you let us know when you are next in this situation? If you can also make a copy of your Roon logs before performing the reset, perhaps the logs can tell us more about the issue. You can expose your SonicTransporter database and look over your logs by following these instructions:

If you are able to retrieve the logs, you can upload them here and let me know after:

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

1 Like

Noris

Log files have been submitted for your review.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Hi @Thomas_Pinckard1,

Thank you for your patience. It’s taken longer than expected, but we’ve come to some conclusions from the log package under investigation.

First, network reachability changes are causing temporary disconnections interrupting Roon Remote’s connection to RoonServer as well as the upstream internet connection from the SGC. It’s unlikely these are directly causal for the symptoms you’re experiencing, but it might be worth verifying that there’s a reliable DNS server assigned in the router. I’d try to reproduce the problem with a Remote connected via ethernet to the same router as the SGC.

Secondly, I’d make a Backup and refresh the database. I’d try the following:

• Make a Backup of your current RoonServer Database
  • Exit out of RoonServer
  • Navigate to your RoonServer’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Reinstall the RoonServer App from our Downloads Page to generate a new RoonServer folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Roon Server” and connect to the new database

This would be a more complete database refresh than a simple reinstall. Please let us know if this helps.

1 Like

Connor

Thanks for getting back to me. I was wondering, if I could just delete roon server on my windows pc and the reinstall roon server from scratch? If you think it would be better to follow your instructions I will do that… I am not super computer savvy, so don’t want to make things worse or get stuck in no man’s land if you will. I completed this DNS steps on the router and it is good. Roon seemed to open and respond a bit faster. On my sT, would I uninstall that and reinstall or just on my pc? Thanks again for your patience with me.

Please let me know what you think!

This topic was automatically closed after 9 days. New replies are no longer allowed.