Roon can't find Bluesound devices on my wireless network (again)

@dylan Hi there, I did install Roon Core on the laptop, disabled the Core on this PC, plugged the HD with the music on it into the laptop and was able to play music through the speakers on the laptop. However, Roon could not find the BlueSound devices. The laptop is a Windows 7 Professional OS.

@dylan I just unauthorized the laptop and returned Roon Core control to the Windows 10 box.

Hi @Robert_De_Mattei,

Just to verify here, are remote devices able to connect to the Core without issue?

I spoke with the team about this further and they believe that there may be a firewall that is blocking Roon’s connection. Do you have any active antivirus or firewall enabled on the Core? If you temporarily disable them is there any change?

Yes, all my other devices - cell phones, TV, Pads, laptops, my daughters and my sons cell phones and laptops - they all work all the time. The Bluesound OS can connect readily and it also works on my daughter’s and son’s cell phones and laptops as well. Only Roon seems to have a problem. Within my antivirus program, I set up an exception for Roon and Bluesound OS. I disconnected the gateway modem and disabled the antivirus program but Roon still cannot find the Bluesound Vault 2 and either Node 2. I turned the internet and antivirus back on now.

Hi @Robert_De_Mattei,

Apologies, I don’t think I was clear above. Regarding the remotes, I was wondering if other devices connect to Roon using the remote app over the network without issue rather than if other devices can connect to the Bluesound devices.

Thanks for giving the antivirus/firewall disabling a try here.

@dylan Oh, I see what you want. Roon on my cell can connect to the Roon Core on the Windows box and access the albums but neither Roon can find any of the Bluesound devices. Roon Core did pick up on the new CD’s I just loaded to the network. Using my cell phone, I can open the Bluesound remote app and play music to any of the Nodes or Vault.

@dylan Let me clarify that last statement - Roon can access the USB drive where I back up the music. The USB drive is plugged directly into the Windows machine. I have to use Windows to copy the music from the Vault 2 to the USB drive. Once its on the USB drive, then Roon can play it; Roon cannot access the Vault 2 directly. I wasn’t very clear about that when I wrote the above statement.

Hi Robert,
What do you mean when you refer to these two networks? Is one of them a VPN or VLAN?

@grossmsj Neither. I have a wireless private network that I use in the house to communicate with my cell phones, laptops and Bluesound devices. Wireless is provided by the Nighthawk. There is a hardwire LAN connection from my Windows box, which is where I have the Roon Core, to the Nighthawk. The Nighthawk connects to the modem, provided by Comcast, a hardwire LAN connection. That modem is in bridge mode.

Have you checked if your Bluesound devices and Roon core on the same sub net of your network as I cant see this mentioned in the thread. They should all share the first 3 digits in the ip address of the units e.g. 192.168.1 then each 4th number will be different. And you can connect to the Roon core via any remote thats on your wireless network for example using Roon remote on your phone can connect to the core?

Hi @Robert_De_Mattei,

I spoke with the team about this, and they’re wanting to take a look at some more recent Bluesound logs. I was hoping you could following the instructions I sent above to send them over once more:

@CrystalGipsy Correct, they are all 192.168.1.xx. Thanks for asking!

@dylan Here is the link. The previous Bluesound log from 5/7 is still there as well. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/24vfnusarqiw516/AAAAyqGOXqiyJSyv2kjaaaN1a?dl=0

@dylan How is the research coming along? It was a long weekend, so I wasn’t expecting an answer today. I still have the same problem here, even after rebooting all the systems.

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

Thanks for your patience as we continue to investigate this issue. The odd behaviors you are reporting have added some wrinkles to our testing and diagnostic process, we simply have not encountered a scenario quite like you are reporting.

In nearly every situation we have encountered with discovery issues on Bluesound products, if the devices are discoverable from the BluOS controller app on a PC or Mac, they are discoverable in Roon as well.

When you reported that Bluesound devices are visible in BluOS controller but not on the Roon Core, we requested that you send us the BluOS diagnostic logs. This is to see if the Roon Ready component on the Bluesound devices is in a stable and functioning state.

There are only two plausible scenarios that would explain why the devices are visible in BluOS controller but not Roon Core.

1. The Roon Ready software component on the Bluesound devices has gotten into an unstable state and is crashing without restarting gracefully.

2. A firewall or some other network variable is only interfering with Roon Ready traffic, and doing so on an intermittent basis instead of a consistent basis like we would expect with a misconfigured network.

When looking at the Bluesound logs you sent us, we do not see any traces relating to the Roon Ready component. Most of the logs contain nothing but this trace repeated over and over:

SMB::mountShare SMB.pm (340) mount.cifs -r -o user=*******,password *************
SMB::mountShare SMB.pm (350) mount of MusicNAS failed with ssec=NONE and vers=3.0.

This appears to be the devices attempting and then failing to connect to your NAS. Unfortunately, since the Bluesound devices attempt to connect to the NAS over and over again, this log trace has crowded out any room for information about what is happening on your network or with the Roon Ready component.

We are happy to take a look at a new set of logs, but it would be paramount that you disable this NAS share so that we can glean some helpful information from them. It should be noted that if something is occurring with the Roon Ready component, it would be out of our hands as this is an issue with the BluOS firmware. Have you reached out to Bluesound support at all regarding this issue? If you are able to connect to the devices via BluOS controller but not Roon Core on the same PC, I’m sure they would be interested to hear about this as well.

-John

@john I will check with Bluesound folks on this. As for the network, we have visited this issue a number of times now, one of which had me buy a brand new router. I did reload the Roon software and I had to reload my license. I did this because the user interface failed a number of times so I did a complete reinstall. That fixed the user interface but had no effect on finding the Bluesound devices. It is interesting that the problems started after a couple of BS updates, though. I will let you know what I find out.

I have been in contact with BlueSound folks. They just released an update for both the players and controllers, however after installing that Roon still cannot find them on the network. I just deleted Roon entirely from my system, then did a fresh download, and reinstalled it. However, it still cannot find any BlueSound devices. One interesting item is I enabled the player on my PC so Roon can play through that and it does play though it. However, I still have a message at the bottom of my Roon screen that states “NO AUDIO DEVICES FOUND” beneath that is a button “Manage Audio devices”. Clicking on that brings me to the search page in settings but it cannot find anything on the network.

Factory reset your Bluesound device, it’s easy and worked for me

Yep, I tried that, but didn’t help. Thanks for the tip, though.

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

Can you confirm the router you are using? Is it the Netgear Nighthawk X4S?

We’ve discovered some new reports of certain Netgear Nighthawk routers failing to forward multicast traffic from their LAN ports to the WiFi network. We can’t be certain, but this could explain the behavior you are seeing. I have included a link to a Netgear support thread below:

In light of this, I would recommend the following actions:

1. Retest the behavior with the Bluesound device connected into the router via ethernet, with the PC running Roon Core also connected to the router via ethernet.
  2. Update the Netgear Nighthawk to the latest firmware.
  3. Disabling “IGMP Snooping” in your Netgear router settings.

If things still aren’t working, I would recommend disconnecting the Netgear Nighthawk router and placing your Comcast modem back into router mode. Running this test should give us ample evidence to determine what is at fault in your setup.

-John