Roon can't find locally attached USB audio devices

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Alienware Aurora 6, Win 10 Home, 16GB DDR2400, 5.5TB internal SSD storage, 14TB external SSD storage, 32TB NAS, Roon 1.6 Build 416

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Charter Spectrum 1GB -> Netgear Nighthawk X8 -> Netgear Prosafe Managed Switch -> 1gbps wired -> Devices 1. PC (Alienware Aurora 6) 2. Roon Nucleus

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

PC (not Core) via USB 3.0 -> PS Audio Sprout 100, Audioquest Dragonfly Red, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Schiit Jotunheim, Kanto YU powered speakers (I use these PC connected items for A/B testing of gear and headphones.

Nucleus (Core) via USB -> Myteck Brooklyn DAC+

Description Of Issue

I have been using Roon in this configuration for over a year with no issues whatsoever, until this morning. For reasons I hope you can help me understand and fix, Roon on the PC will not detect ANY devices connected locally via USB. It still sees the Nucleus and all of my networked devices such as Yamaha Receivers, Sonos speakers, etc. Oddly enough though, Windows sees all of the devices just fine and other programs such as Tidal and Jriver 25 can access them with no problems. Only Roon appears to be affected.

Steps taken thus far as recommended in other threads:
Reboot
Uninstall and Reinstall USB drivers for all devices
Uninstall and Reinstall Roon (app files and DB)
Uninstall and disable Realtek drivers
Turn off all firewall and antivirus programs
Unplug all USB devices except Keyboard and Mouse and test plug each device one at a time to observe any poor behavior (everything checked out)

None of the above steps made any difference. Help!

Thanks,
Mark

The RoonCore detects audio devices on endpoints by sending out queries. If these queries are blocked then the Core does not set up the audio device, even if it is local to a client. It is the server talking via RAAT to the audio device on the client that creates the audio device. So, something is blocking this mechanism between your PC and the Core.

The most usual culprit is Firewall/Anti-virus. I would keep them off during testing.
Other potential issues could be something on the network like a managed switch or router interfering with IPMG (try turning OFF IPMG snooping, for example).

You could install a Roon Core on the PC and see if the local audio devices show up. That would let you know that everything is fine on that PC and the issue lies in the communication between PC and Core or in the Core. Another would be to remove the managed Netgear switch and put a small unmanaged switch with just the PC and Core attached and see if that correct things. If so, then you know for sure the issue in your network somewhere.

Why all of a sudden? Updates, someone switched something without realizing it, etc etc.

Thanks for the info. I know that yesterday Windows installed 4 updates and Norton installed 4 updates, so based on your information, my guess is something in one of those 8 updates has now blocked IPMG or removed the ports from the access list. Can you remind me of the service and port names that should be open in the firewall for Roon? Thanks.

RAAT and ROON apps

Hi @Mark_Daniel,

I would double check to make sure that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe are added as exceptions to both the Windows Firewall and the Norton firewall. You can use these instructions to add them to Windows Firewall exceptions and the path for these .exe are in the Database Location/Applications path. You can also temporarily turn off Norton to see if that has any change in behavior here.

– Noris

1 Like

I disconnected the Remote (PC) from the Core (Nucleus) and then reconnected and all of the USB devices local to the PC showed back up. It has now been stable for about 24 hours. Not sure why or how that fixed the issue, but I’ll take it.

Mark

1 Like

Hi @Mark_Daniel,

Thanks for letting me know. If the issue re-appears do let me know via private message and we can re-open this thread.

– Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.