Roon can't find the Meridian MS600 endpoint

Suggest the following

1. confirm latest Sooloos config app used as this will auto update the firmware on Sooloos endpoints

2. I’m not home just now to check my fw version on my MS600 but someone will be able to confirm what version to expect.

3. hard power off and restart unit.

4. ensure any Roon core device is fully rebooted so that any weird network config is reset. Note several users report issues with latest OSX versions.

5. remove any excess switches and routers to check if anything is blocking a protocol packet of any sort. Simplify network and verify any additions back.

6. check that any Roon version update hasn’t turned off audio zones that simply need re-enabling

7. double check anything daft.

I had another go at my problem today with success! Hurrah! But I’m not sure how I achieved it. I was looking for a reset button and idly deselected the SLS on Sooloos option and then reselected it. After some other faffing I find that Roon can see the MS200 via wired.

2 Likes

OK, this is odd…

I installed MS Windows as a second partition on the very same machine that is running Linux. Installing Roon for Windows. Switching my Roon licence to the Windows Core. Guess what… Merdian MS600 found at once!!

Back to Linux, Still no Meridian available.

Anyone a logical explanation in this matter?

No, it is supposed to work the same. No weird firewalling on the Linux box?

Let’s flag @support to check whether there is a structural problem with Roon/Linux and Meridian Streaming/Endpoints.

Hi @Marc_Buiks ---- Thank you for the report. I wanted to hop in here to confirm that we are not aware of any issues with Linux+Meridian end points as some of our staff are making use of similar setups.

I firmly believe however, that Rene (@RBM) is on the right track here and would strongly suggest investigating firewalls on the Linux box.

-Eric

There appears to be a bug (replicated by Roon) which means, if it takes too long to get an IP address (longer than it takes for Roon to load) from the DHCP server, then it won’t be able to find a Meridian endpoint without restarting Roon (but without restarting the server, otherwise you hit the same issue).

If it doesn’t get an IP address in time, it tries to scan for Sooloos endpoints using an invalid network address, fails and them stops trying.

Not sure whether this is the cause of your issue, but worth checking.

And just seen this thread is two years old! My answer might still be relevant, though.

I had the very same problem with my MS600 not being found and I found the solution was to make changes on my Linux Roon core which is running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I used GFW to make the changes in Linux. Problem hasn’t happened since

That sounds awesome, can you explain more about the changes you made?

I’m glad to read that there might be a logical explanation for this issue. I’m still having issues with my MS600. The MS600 is for instance found at once when connected to the router I use with my stereo. Roon cannot found the MS600 when connected to the same router as the router that’s connected to the Roon Core (customised PC).
Is there anything I can do to make the MS600 suitable on all routers?

Hi Marc

I found it was an issue with the firewall running on my Linux core. Which IS presumably why you didn’t have issue with Windows but do when the core is on Linux. Which flavour of Linux are you using? I use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

How confident are you making changes to the Linux system you are using because you will need to do that? It sounds daunting at first but isn’t really.

It is well worth doing? I can explain it and tell you what to do but I would read a bit about GuFW on Linux if I were you. You basically tell Linux to enable connections from MS600. You will need to know the IP address of the MS600. Sorry if you already know this.

1 Like

Hi Marc

Just seen that you are using Mint not Ubuntu. You can definitely change your firewall settings using UFW or GuFW. GuFW is easier to use.

I found it was the firewall by turning it off on the Linux box. The MS600 was found straightaway and then I knew that was the issue

You may want to try again with the latest build of Roon as of five days ago (build 416).

This includes ‘Fixed bug that sometimes interfered with Meridian endpoint discovery after a change in network interface status’, which appears to have resolved this for me.

@JeremyAH Glad the update resolves your Meridian issue. Update didn’t help me out on the connection issue with my MS600. Will try to explore the firewall issues any further like @Martin_Morgan suggested. strange thing remained: The MS600 is found at once when connected to the router I use with my stereo. Roon cannot found the MS600 when connected to the same router as the router that’s connected to the Roon Core (customised PC).

@Marc_Buiks Using a router as a bridge can be an issue as Sooloos uses multicast to look for endpoints and many routers do not support this, although you can look for an option labelled ‘multicast snooping’ and try turning that on.

Alternatively, can you try using an ethernet switch to connect the units?

Marc, I think your issue is the firewall in Mint.

My setup was working fine for about a year and then it couldn’t find the MS600. After some research and playing around ie switching the firewall off on my NUC which was running my Roon core I found that was the issue. So I then started looking at the firewall options and I downloaded GuFW which is just a different way to access my firewall settings compared to UFW. GuFW is graphical.

I set the firewall to allow connections from MS600 which has a fixed IP address and open the relevant ports and its been solid since then. So I would do the following

1. Turn off the firewall if you can on your Mint box to see if that then allows you to see MS600
  2. If it does then you have narrowed the issue down to the firewall
  3. Do you have your MS600 on a fixed IP address or is it dynamic? You want fixed so assign an IP address for the MS600 on your router

If you want to call me then PM me and I can talk you through it