Roon can't find Zen Mini [Resolved - Uninstalled VPN]

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Hi, I am using an Innuous Zen Mini, which is set up as my Roon Core and Player. It has the latest updates as of today.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Everything is connected to my home ethernet and home wifi network. It is accessed with my android Samsung S10 phone.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

The Zen mini is powered through a Furman Elite 15i power conditioner, is then connected to Schiit Modi3 FAC via USB, which DAC is connected to an Adcom GFP-815 preamp via RCA, which is connected, in turn to an Adcom GFA-5400 amp.

Description Of Issue

Every thing worked great for 11 days through yesterday afternoon when I finished ripping and playing about 260 CDs and subscribing to Qobuz. No problems.
I then powered down the system, changed the power cord between the preamp and the Furman and turned everything back on.

Roon cannot find or connect to my Zen core eventhough I connected to the Zen over wifi, used my phone to make sure thr Zen was set up as a Roon core (I did not find a specific ‘enable remote connection’ setting), uninstalled and reinstalled Roon on my phone, rebooted the system after unplugging the power and ethernet, checked all connections, directed Roon to the Zen 's actual IP address and Roon still will not connect.
Please help.
Thanks
Marc

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Hi, I am using an Innuous Zen Mini, which is set up as my Roon Core and Player. It has the latest updates as of today, version 1.4.5

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Everything is connected to my home Ethernet and home wifi network. It is accessed by my android Samsung S10 phone. My HP (intel I7) Windows 10 desktop is also connected to both of these networks. There is only one modem in my entire house as supplied by Verizon for Fios, the fiber optic broadband service, and the entire house was wired for Ethernet connectivity with Cat6 Ethernet cable when it was built. (We know the Zen Mini connected to the internet through its Ethernet connection because it downloaded the all information and album art for about 260 CDs).

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

The Zen Mini Mk.3 is powered through a Zen LPSU which is connected to a Furman Elite 15i power conditioner. The Zen USB output is connected to a Schiit Modi3 DAC. The DAC RCA outputs are connected to an Adcom GFP-815 preamp. The preamp connected, in turn, is connected to an Adcom GFA-5400 amp.

Description Of Issue

For 11 days straight, until yesterday afternoon, Roon running on my phone could find the Zen. The My.Innuous.Com website could also find the Zen. I was able to rip, organize and play about 1/2 my collection (260 CDs) and subscribe to Qobuz, play albums from Qobus, and play internet radio from around the world. No problems, except neither Roon nor the My.Innous.com running on my desktop could find/connect to the Zen.

Yesterday afternoon, after 11 days of enjoying Roon, I powered down the system, changed the power cord between the preamp and the Furman and turned everything back on.

Roon canno nowt find or connect to my Zen core through my phone or the desktop. However, the My.innous.com website running on my phone can find the Zen, but that same website still can’f find the Zen from my desktop.

In an attempt to solve this problem I checked the Zen settings through my.innous.com running on my phone and made sure that the Zen was set up as the Roon core (I did not find a specific ‘enable remote connection’ setting, nor do I have a 2nd core). That didn’t solve the problem, so, I uninstalled and reinstalled Roon on my phone and rebooted the stereo system (including the Zen) after unplugging the power cord (and restoring the original power cord that worked previously) and disconnecting the ethernet cable. I then, checked all connections, turned the system back on and tried again. Roon over my phone still did not find the Zen. I then entered the Zen’s actual IP address into the Roon app on my phone and Roon still will did not find the Zen core. The my.innous.com web site, running on my phone could still find the Zen, but it will not let me reset the Zen as a none Roon Core. I am at a loss. I want to be able to run Roon from my phone and desktop to control the Zen to listen to the CD’s I ripped. I am hopeful that this can be accomplished without having to delete the CDs already on the Zen since I just started this process and have not yet been able to back up the 260 or so CDs ripped to the Zen.

Please help.
Thanks
Marc

Roon @support, please answer my question in this post. I definitely need help. Thanks. Marc

Please show a screenshot of the Music Service config page of the Zen?
And also, try and ping the Innuos from a wired computer on the same network.

Hello @Marc_Coupey, and thanks for your report! I’d like to narrow this issue down, and you being able to access http://my.innous.com/ is a great first step! Have you tried with other remotes other than the S10? Have you tried entering the IP address of the core on the S10 or entering the IP 255.255.255.255?

Mikael, I have added screen shots of the Zen Mini Music Service configuration page and screen shots of running Zing from my desktop. In both shots, Zing found the Zen Mini on my ethernet network but, when Zing tried to ping it, there was no response from the Zen. The Zen was definitely turned on and connected to the internet at the time. I even repeated the experiment a couple of times, checking on/off status and cables, all was on and connected, but found the same result. Add images
![Zen Mini Setup Screen (Scrn Sht)|690x440](upload://tjFgEcPut1logCZ1ZgJAJps1V8O.png) ![Zing lists Zen on Ethernet Network|690x377](upload://wCrD3rLC2AHdDJnIJmoWSYKZiof.png) ![Zing Ping on Zen no good|690x368](upload://5fySV05v0vLt1SYc182PjlcandF.png)

Sorry, couldn’t see the screenshots.
'Marc, check your phone, make sure it is connected to your WLAN (and not to 4G or so) by telling us it’s IP adress.
And, you do have a laptop or PC, right? please wire it to your router and see if you kan make the zen play some tunes using it as Roon remote.

Hi, OK problem solved. Thankyou all for your help and suggestions.
Turns out the problem was not with Roon. Because the Zen Mini would not let me change its settings over wifi I contacted Innuous. Juno from Innuous remoted into my system. We found that NordVPN prevented my system from connecting via ethernet to the Zen. So, after uninstalling NordVPN, we connected, Nuno reset the Zen boot system (bios?) and all works fine.

1 Like

Hello @Marc_Coupey, glad things are working again! Please let us know if the issue returns.

Hi nuwriy,

so, it means that roon doesn’t work right with nordvpn. I recognized, that - under nordvpn - roon can’t find the wlan-connected devices, only those with cable-connection. This is worse, because you can’t use a vpn-shield for the server…

btw i like the new version, esp the dark mode ! grets