Roon causes MacBook Pro overheat

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacBook Pro (Mojave 10.14.6 / Roon 1.7 Build 537 stable)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

As soon as I launch Roon, my Mac starts the fans full speed and overheats. This has started to happen with this release of Roon. Never happened before.
Mac’s Activity Monitor shows Roon as using over 300% (!) of CPU

1 Like

Is the database update running?
The new release has a pretty large database update going on in the background. This update not only uses a large amount of CPU power but an even bigger amount of GPU power. It would be nice for all the fanless NUC an laptop users if Roon could throttle this down a bit. Macbooks are not made for this kind of endurance processing.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your response. I was not clear, I think, sorry. What’s running on my MBP is Roon Remote only, so no database there. The Core is on a DS218Plus.

I also run Roon as Remote on a MBP and have that same problem, but not always but intermittently. On my laptop the culprit seems to be RAAT server which puzzles me even more, as RAAT shouldn’t be even involved using the MBP as a Remote. When I notice the fans blasting I have to shut down the Roon app and restart it after some minutes, which seems to work for some time. I have not been able to notice any pattern which would give me a hint as to what triggers the problem.

my mbpro overheating by Roon client seems to have something to do with GPU - specifically with animation shown here:

It just happened again… the fan of my MBP blowing… and this is what I see on a Roon installation which is exclusively being used as Roon Remote while outputting on the S/PDIF port of my Roon Core computer:

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 12.04.46
It doesn’t help to change to the Overview in Roon; I have to kill the Roon app and restart it after a while. Very annoying.

Hi @Andreas_Philipp1/@Bernard_Forgues,

Instead of restarting Roon, could you try disabling and enabling your WiFi adapter on the Mac? Does that stop the high CPU behavior?

Ok @noris I will try this next time I notice the problem and report back. Thank you.

Wow, weird. I’m not on wifi, always using cable ethernet. But I tried: launched Roon and checking Activity Monitor. CPU use got over the roof almost instantly, as always. Started wifi, and CPU dropped to ± 10% immediately. Switched wifi off, and CPU stays at 10%.
Thanks. Honestly, I do hope Roon can fix this, this is super annoying.

1 Like

Apparently, starting wifi kills the RAAT process, right? Have you found the culprit? I must say my Mac only runs Control, not Core, so I’m not sure why RAAT is required to start with?

My MBP (late 2013, MacOS 10.14.5) only connects via WiFi. Starting Roon doesn’t use more than 2-6% CPU. Stopping and restarting WiFi doesn’t kill and restart RAAT server process. In my case, the high CPU usage occurs from time to time, I still can’t determine a pattern. Next time I’ll do as recommended by @noris.

reported here as well: Roon 1.7 causing MacbookPRO 2018 to run fans at high speed

For the last two days I have been using Roon extensively and monitoring CPU usage on my MacBook Pro which is only used as Remote… Well, for now it is behaving very well. I can’t understand why MacOS would have reported ‘using significant energy’ for RAAT Server - this process uses 0.03% CPU…

Roon, while being left alone (this is, no manipulation of the user interface), shows between 3.5 - 7.5% CPU usage. No problem here.

I’ll keep monitoring until, eventually, the fans get blowing again. For now, I can’t see a problem.

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

We are still looking into this issue, please see a status update from Dylan here:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.