Roon Causing iMac to sleep or shutdown

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac Retina 5K 27in, Late 2014, 4GHz Intel Core i7
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
Graphics AMD RAdeon R9 M295X 4GB

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

LAN connection. Asus RT-AC66U router, TP-Link gigabit LAN switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Volumio with Roon endpoint on rPi3B+ LAN connection

Description Of Issue

Roon causes iMac to sleep or shut down every instance Roon application is launched.
This happens within 10-20 seconds upon launch of Roon. Sometimes before library is loaded and sometimes upon library loading. Top right side library scan is running. iMac fan gets loud followed by sleep / shutdown.

Activity monitor shows between 150% CPU time when launching and up to 199% CPU time when fan gets loud. Roon does not crash when CPU time is kept under 100% and fan is not getting loud.

Problem goes away when Roon is terminated from running.

Attempted to remove recently added albums to find any offending files but does not solve the issue.

PRAM NVRAM resets have not worked also.

Please help

To me it seems like your iMac is overheating due to CPU usage. CAn you try anything else that exercises the processor cores?

Hi @Faizal_Yusmal,

Does the same behavior occur if you try setting up a fresh Roon database?

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

Yes it seems so. The only application that engages all the cores intensely is Handbrake for video transcoding. No historical issue. Be that as it may there isn’t sufficient time to launch any other application as sleep / shut down happens almost immediately upon launch of Roon.

On a good note this issue seems to have abated for now.

The situation seems to have abated for now:

1. Removed 8 additional recent album adds from the database
  2. Exited out of Tidal account
  3. Cleaned library
  4. Restart iMac, Cleared NVRAM PRAM again

All stable now, CPU doesn’t exceed 50% even when library scanning.

My best guess is bad file from one of the albums causing library scan to go hyper.

2 Likes

Hello @Faizal_Yusmal,

Thanks for the update here. If you have any further issues do feel free to reach out again!

Could you try and run Handbrake as the only app on the iMac, giving it some work to do? (Not starting Roon at all)
I still think you have a hardware issue… :confused:

Good suggestion Mikael,
I’m running handbrake now as we speak. 750% CPU. 94 threads. No sleep or shutdowns.

At least we eliminated that.

1 Like

Thanks Faizal, could it be a hardware which is only utilized when Roon is initializing the lib?
Any new additions to the lib, which may be corrupted?

I’ve removed 8 recent additions to the library to a point where if I recall correctly it was definitely stable (perhaps slow to load but stable)

It seemed to work for 2 days and then it started misbehaving again when Roon started scanning the library even though there were no new additions.

As of now Roon seems stable again since scanning has stopped. It seems to be misbehaving only when scanning. Seems to be the only common thread here.

Hi @Faizal_Yusmal,

What kind of hard drive do you have on your Mac? Are you using an SSD?
Where is the library stored, is it all on the internal drive of your Mac?
Does setting the old database aside trigger any change in behavior?

OS drive is SSD. Library is on the SSD.

Not able to set old database aside yet and re generate new library until login is resolved.

Will advise once I try that.

1 Like

Where’s your media library located? And, how big is it?

On a Synology NAS LAN connected. 13TB

1 Like