Roon Client 1.8 (latest build 806) instantly crashes on Windows 10 PC

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC7I5 (i5-7260U CPU @ 2.20GHz), 8GB RAM, 230G SSD M2
Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Windows PC (Windows 10). Topping DX3Pro external DAC connected via USB

Library Size

approx. 32000 tracks

Description Of Issue

My main Roon client is running on a Windows 10 PC. Since the last update I experienced occasional crashes at first startup. After a few tries everything was good.

Since today I cannot use the client anymore. The client starts up and after 1 or 2 seconds the program cloeses without any error message. I already restarted the Windows PC and restarted the Roon Core. Didn’t help.

I tried the Roon Remote on my Android tablet. Everything works as expected.

Please advise how to proceed.

pj

@support: Update from my side… I uninstalled the client completely and reinstalled the software. After one or two times starting up ok it crashed again. When I am able to get away from the “Home” Screen quickly enough the client works fine. It seems that some activity on the “Home” Screen is causing this.

Hey @papa.jay,

I’m so sorry about the trouble! I was wondering, was there any recent Windows update? Sometimes, that interferes with Roon :pleading_face:

Hey @beka ,
thanks for getting back. The last cumulative update for Windows 10 (KB5004945) was installed one week ago - almost at the same time I updated to the last Roon build. Actually there is a another windows update waiting for reboot right now. I’ll finish this update later today, reboot everything and get back to you if there are any changes.
pj

1 Like

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing that.

I’ll keep an eye out for your post :eyes:

Last night I finished the Windows update and rebooted the Windows PC running the client. I stopped/started Roon Core. I started the client and it looks like this

This screenshot was captured right before the window disappears. I restarted the program a couple of times with same results.

As the program is responsive in those 2-3 seconds I was channeling my chi and was able to resize the window, make the menu appear and click on the albums menu.

The screen looks like this and I can use Roon as usual.

If I go back to the “Home” screen the screen starts to build up and the Roon client closes again like it did at the initial startup.

Please let me know how to proceed.

pj

HI @papa.jay

I notice that you use a modified colours theme for your client.

A number of people reported that an additional 3 lines were required to be added to the colours file in order to gain stability following Build 806. I wonder if this could be your problem?

I didn’t personally encounter the problem but others have reported that the following 3 lines need to be added to the ‘colors’ file:

atom-blue-background-blur #C8C7FA
atom-red-background-blur #F3A9BB
atom-purple-mapping #9797F6

Are these lines present in your colors file?

2 Likes

hi @hmack,
thanks for pointing in this direction… the lines were indeed missing… after I added them the clients home page is stable and not crashing… I’ll wait a few days and report back.
pj

1 Like

Glad this worked for you. I noticed that you were using pretty much the same colour choices that I happen to use myself. Although I didn’t have to add these lines for build 806, I had already added them for a previous update.

Unfortunately, it’s a fairly regular requirement to keep the modified colour file up-to-date, since the file may be modified by Roon developers as part of any new build. Whenever, I encounter an issue after a build release, the first thing I do is compare the new colour file with my saved modified colour file and add any lines that appear to have been added.

It’s a pain we just have to put up with in order to retain the option of using a modified theme.

Of course, Roon developers could make life easier for us by offering us an official option to modify our themes.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.